P.Piero Dell'Anno - BA. MA. PgDip. Dip. MSc.
West End Lane
9 Coldbath Square
Thank you for taking the time to stop and read my profile. My name is Piero Dell'Anno and I am a registered clinical psychotherapist with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and a registered psychotherapeutic counsellor with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
I have worked both in the National Health Service (NHS) and in the private sector since qualifying in 2010, and I have gained extensive experience of working with a wide spectrum of clients within primary care settings.
I assist my clients on a short to long term basis presenting with a highly diverse range of difficulties from mild depression and anxiety to trauma, panic attacks, issues with bereavement and loss, self-harm, difficulties managing emotions, difficulties managing anger, relationship problems, low self-esteem, sexual identity issues and other difficulties.
I have also been involved in supporting other mental health clinicians and health professionals, running reflective practice groups for mental health practitioners. I currently work in a primary care service for the NHS, with individuals presenting with depression, anxiety and other mental health issues.
One of my main clinical interests is working with clients who have experienced developmental/attachment trauma and, as adults, are experiencing interpersonal issues, couple/relationship issues and more in general difficulties to deal with their own emotions. I also assist clients struggling with sexual identity issues.
I have experience of applying a variety of theoretical perspectives in my clinical work including Relational Gestalt, Counselling for Depression (CfD), Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT) and Integrative Psychotherapy and, last but not least, Couple Therapy for Depression.
My clinical work is extensively based on humanistic, existential-phenomenological and mindfulness-based approaches.
I am able to undertake clinical treatment in English, Italian and French.
Amongst other issues I can also assist clients who are experiencing:
- developmental trauma
- parenting and attachment issues
- anxiety, stress and panic attacks
- depression, loss and bereavement
- relationship issues and couples therapy
- post natal depression
- sexual and gender identity issues
- lgbt issues
- work-related issues
- low self-esteem
- anger management
- difficulty dealing with and expressing emotions.
I work in West Hampstead, Farrington, Islington and Central London.
I am a registered psychotherapeutic counsellor and clinical psychotherapist with the following insurances:
Cigna: registered provider
AXA PPP: psychotherapist
Aviva: registered provider
VitalityHealth: registered psychotherapist
How can I support you as your life presents with new challenges and old ones?
At times, life can be challenging and the difficulties we face may seem insurmountable. Sometimes those difficulties are rooted in the past, in our relationship with our parents or
caregivers, or in events that have unexpectedly altered the course of our life. We might be
critical of ourselves and believe we should already have overcome these experiences. Unfinished matters from the past can have a negative impact on many areas of life, including relationships with family and friends and our working lives.
It can be difficult to recognise and understand how the past is impacting on our present.
Unresolved issues can manifest themselves in the present as anxiety, depression, jealousy,
panic attacks and other physical symptoms. We each develop a strategy for coping, derived
from what is possible at the time with the available resources. Just as plants somehow adapt to grow despite a shortage of light, water and oxygen, we cope by adopting certain patterns of behaviour, which we then tend to repeat until they become fixed. Even if we recognise these behaviours, and want to change the ones that now work less well for us, change may seem impossible.
I encourage my clients to explore and make connections between the unfinished past and the present, and the impact of the former on the latter. I help clients to become more
compassionate towards themselves, and to recognise that patterns of behaviour they adopted in the past were appropriate at that time, given the resources available to them then. It is only later that such behaviours may appear inappropriate and in need of change. Making these connections helps clients to discover for themselves new opportunities and new ways of being, in the present and future.
Too often, terms such as depression, anxiety, panic attacks and relationship difficulties are
used as if referring to a physical illness and/or to something fixed and unchangeable. I believe they are, in fact, ways of adapting and of being which we have chosen so as to protect and support ourselves.
My ethos is to support my clients in a nonjudgmental way, helping them to discover that we can achieve well-being by drawing on our inner resources and those available in the wider environment. A new way of seeing can be the start of a new way of being.
I am from an Italian background. London is now my home. I have lived and studied in many
countries, and appreciate and enjoy learning from the diversity I have experienced. I am
curious about the power of our inner voice to navigate us through life, and about our potential to learn self-compassion, loving kindness so as to be kinder to ourselves in coping with life’s challenges.
Training, qualifications & experience
Lifelong learning is at the core of my clinical practice. Ongoing professional development is,
for me, a way of ensuring that my clients continuously benefit from the most advanced
findings in research into psychology and psychotherapy.
Clinical practice with the NHS provides an unrivalled opportunity for professional
development, as it offers exposure to knowledge and expertise not normally available to a
clinician working solely in private practice.
Professionally I am also involved in research, lecturing at university level, leadership
coaching and consultancy in organisational wellbeing.
My qualifications in counselling and psychotherapy include:
- National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioural Medicine: How to Target Treatment to Help Patients Reclaim Their Lives After Trauma.
- SoundsTrue: The Power of Awarenes - Mindfulness Training to Cultivate Clarity, Compassion and Wellbeing (2017)
- National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioural Medicine: How to Work with Shame (2017)
- National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioural Medicine: Treating Trauma Master Series (2017)
- Middlesex University and Metanoia Institute: Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy (2017)
- International Institute of Psychopathology and Psychotherapy: The Psychopathological Field Co-created between Client and Therapist: A Relational Perspective (2017).
- Tavistock Couple Relationship: Certificate in Couple Relationship (pending 2017)
- Middlesex University and Metanoia Institute: MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy (2017)
- The Association of Psychological Therapies UK: Compassion Focus Therapy Essentials (2016)
- Think Psychology: CPD certificate in Introduction to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (2016)
- West London Mental Health Trust: Certificate in Perinatal Mental Health Training (2016)
- Emergence UK: Working with Personality Disorder (2016).
- Metanoia Institute: Certificate in Counselling for Depression (pending)
- Metanoia Institute: Certificate of competency in the use of Psychological test (2012-2013)
- Aspic School of Counselling and Psychotherapy: Masters in Integrative Counselling (2012).
- Aspic School of Counselling and Psychotherapy: Attachment and constellations (2013)
- Aspic School of Counselling and Psychotherapy: Diploma in Integrative Counselling (2011).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Further information, terms & conditions
I am a registered member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and The British
Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and subscribe to the Code of
Ethics for each of these organisations.
I work from West Hampstead in north-west London and Farringdon in central London.
Fees: My fees vary according to the time of the day, location and the type of therapy needed (individual, couples, group). Please phone me to discuss what you might need and I can then advise on costs.
I am registered with the following health insurers to provide services covered by their
Aviva: Registered provider
AXA PPP: Psychotherapist
Cigna: Registered provider
Vitality Health: Registered psychotherapist
I advise that you check with your insurer before booking a session, and make sure you
comply with their pre-authorisation policy.
Cancellation policy: I ask that clients give 48 hours’ notice if they wish to cancel a session,
otherwise my fees for the session will be charged in full.
Languages: I am fluent in and work with clients in English, Italian and French.
Additional services: I offer online counselling/coaching and telephone counselling/coaching.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Italian and French|
From 7 am to 9 pm Monday to Friday and Saturday morning from 9 am to 2 pm.
Types of client