Michelle Oakman DIpHIP, UKCP REGISTERED
ST.Paul's Learning Centre
94, Grosvenor Road
01225-313757 / 07535266091
- I am a psychotherapist and counsellor working with individuals and couples in Bath and Bristol.
- I can offer a safe, confidential space to help you explore difficulties, and experience a greater sense of joy and meaning in your life.
- Short term therapy or counselling will start to address issues, and help point you in the right direction. Longer term psychotherapy will enable you to go deeper. By having more understanding and containment of emotional problems there is the opportunity to really grow and enjoy an enhanced sense of wellbeing.
- I am based in North Bath in a peaceful location, a short distance from the centre of Bath with free parking and on a bus route. I also offer good access from the Kingswood side of Bristol, the A46 and 420.
- I also work in Central Bristol. This location is easily accessible from The Gloucester Road, Ashley Down and The M32. There is wheelchair access.
- I can offer some lower cost sessions for individuals and couples.
- I am a qualified supervisor offering supervision to trainee and qualified counsellors and psychotherapists. I also work with individuals and groups from person centred agencies and charities.
What to expect
If you decide to see me for an initial session we can, at your own pace, start to look at what you might want to be different in your life. As an integrative psychotherapist I have a variety of approaches that can help you to reach a clearer sense of how you want to go forward. A young woman during our first meeting described this as like discovering her own language in which she could be really understood. You may decide to go away and think about the session, and what you want in the future or arrange to start at an agreed time of the week.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a diploma in Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy from Bath Centre for Psychotherapy and Counselling ( BCPC). I started my practice, working with individuals in 2004.
In 2012 I started working with couples after completing a 12 month training in Couples Counselling with Jill Gabriel, a renouned couples therapist and trainer.
I originally trained as a social worker, obtaining the Certificate of Qualification in Social Work (C.Q.S.W) in 1986. I worked with children and families for eight years. This was followed by over 14 years experience in working with adults with mental health problems. This gave me a good practical grounding in understanding how early experiences can impact on our patterns of relating and dealing with situations.
Since 2014 I have worked as a part-time facilitator of communication skills groups with trainee social workers at The University of the West Of England.
I started attending training workshops in Family Constellation work in 2006. In 2013-15 I completed an 18 month training with Barbara Morgan, an experienced practioner and trainer in this field. This work has a profound focus on the generational impact on individual development. I have found this approach highly effective in sessions with individuals and couples. Between 2012- 2014 I facilitated family constellation workshops at The Aurora Foundation in London.
I was a supervisor of Aurora Foundation counsellors for 2 years in 2014- 2015.
I am a psychotherapist and counsellor with the Trauma Foundation South West, working from a Health Centre in Central Bristol.
I completed training with CSTD (The Centre for Supervision and Team Development) in 2017. I offer supervision to trainee and qualified counsellors and psychotherapists. I also work with individuals and groups working in person centred agencies and charities.
As a supervisor I draw on my skills as an integrative psychotherapist, keeping theory in mind but always valuing a relational approach which supports the supervisee and their client in their journey together.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Issues around identity, and purpose of being.
Working with dreams and nightmares.
The role the body plays in highlighting unresolved/unexpressed problems through fatigue, illness, and poor sleep patterns.
Family Constellation work with individuals.
Low cost supervision for individuals and groups..
Counselling and psychotherapy -
50 minute sessions with individuals are £45. £40 for students and trainees.
'Phone sessions are 50 minutes for £40. £35 for students and trainees.
I have some low cost sessions available on request before 6pm.
Couples counselling -
60 minute sessions are £60 and 90 minutes for £80.
I can offer couples a reduced rate for a fixed number of sessions.
50 minute sessions with individuals from private practice and agencies are £40.
£35 for students, trainees and employees of charities.
90 minute sessions are £65. The reduced rate is £60.
Group (between 2- 4 members) are £25 each for £60 minutes. The reduced rate is £20 each.
Fees for larger groups and of longer duration can be negotiated.
My Bath practice is in Fairfield Park, North of Bath City centre. It is a 20 minute walk from the top of Milsom Street.
It is also easily accessible from the Kingswood side of Bristol (approx 20 minutes drive). It is 10 minutes drive from the A46 and 420.
The number 6 and 7 bus from the centre of Bath stops nearby. There is plenty of free parking outside.
My Central Bristol Practice is based in St.Paul's Learning Centre. It is a 10/15 minute walk from The Gloucester Road, Easton and Ashley Down. The M32 is a 5 minute drive away.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have evening and daytime sessions during the week in Bath and Bristol. I will be available over the summer holiday weeks as I do not restrict my practice to term time.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|