Michelle Krethlow Shaw
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
In this increasingly complex world to navigate I can offer you Counselling, Psychotherapy, Hypnotherapy, EMDR (Trauma) and Mindfulness at my private clinic (open since 2011) in Broomfield, Chelmsford, Essex. I specialize in working with Anxiety, Depression, Grief, Loss and Trauma as well as having experience of working with young people aged 16 - 25. I am an Accredited Counsellor with the NCPS ( approved by the Government Professional Standards Authority, accredited register) and member of the National Hypnotherapy Society. Compassion and Workable are the 2 words at the heart of my therapeutic approach. Together, with special regard for your well being, we will work in a therapeutic, confidential and non judgmental environment that meets your individual need for change within your life.
My approach to counselling and psychotherapy is very much integrative; being able to offer my clients and draw upon my knowledge, training and skills of:
- CBT and REBT(Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as advocated by the NHS, Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy)as well as an interest in ACT and working with intrusive thoughts.
- EMDR (for all kinds of Trauma and photo attached)
- Mindfulness (I am training with Bangor University as a teacher to deliver courses) (supported by the NHS for the treatment of Pain, Stress, Anxiety and Depression. I can now offer the 8 week MBCT course on a 1:1 basis please ask for a price)
- Hypnotherapy (used to help with Stress, Fears, Phobias).
- Training in working with Grief, this is a special interest of mine
Having had personal experience of grief (as a teenager), loss, depression and anxiety, including lack of self worth; these topics are close to my heart. The same passion applies to working with young adults (age 16 -25), many of whom face significant challenges in this complex world. From a professional perspective I believe having these experiences bring a unique sense of insight to the therapeutic process. (www.krethlowcounsellingessex.co.uk/about.html)
Clients from all walks of life and all range of difficulties find their way to my door:
- People who are suffering from Depression and Anxiety, either reacting to a traumatic event or generally; stopping them from living the life they would wish to have
- People suffering from low self worth
- People suffering from Grief and Loss
- People struggling with Relationship difficulties and wanting to find a new way and change
- Young people from 16yrs unable to cope with life worries
- People who are suffering from the symptoms of Trauma, this can be anything from a car crash or the death of someone close to events in childhood causing difficulties in later life.
- People who are living with stress due to illness and the sense of loss of control and sadness this can incur
- People suffering from Fears, Phobias and Panic Disorders
- People living with a low self esteem and confidence, this may be due to their time of life or life events.
- People wanting to Quit Smoking(Hypnotherapy)
In addition I teach Mindfulness (MBSR/MBCT) to individuals who wish to learn; working within the National Guidelines for Teaching Mindfulness and I am currently training to teach Mindfulness to groups having been a practitioner since 2011.
My approach to each person who chooses my practice; is to provide an individually tailored treatment plan in a non judgmental, confidential and compassionate environment in which to explore your difficulties and to find solutions and methods of recovery that are entirely individual to you. If it takes 2 sessions that is fine, if takes 12 or more that is fine. Unlike some organisational approaches we are not time limited.
So how do you go about contacting me and what should you expect? If you wish have a look at my website www.michellekrethlow.co.uk this will give you more information about my practice, but you are also welcome just to send me a text on 07890893000 or telephone me on 01245 443787 or alternatively email me via this website or via email@example.com. We can then briefly discuss the next steps. This usually involves making an introductory appointment where we discuss your needs in detail and decide if working together is the thing you want to do. There is deliberately no pressure at this first appointment, you need to find the right therapist for your own well being. If you decide to proceed; we then look at further appointments and I will draw up a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs. This is all discussed and agreed with you at the follow up appointment. All therapeutic progress is reviewed on a regular basis to ensure we are working to meet your goals, in fact I ask my clients if we have done what they wanted to work on at the end of every session.
Training, qualifications & experience
So my experience and qualifications are as follows:
- Diploma in Hynotherapy and Counselling (2009) Dip Hyp CS and Professional member of the National Hynotherapy Society (MHS)
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (2011) Ad Dip Cp and Accredited member of the National Counselling Society (MNCS(Accred))
- Certificate in Stress Management with ACMH (cert.SM)
- Masterclass in Anxiety, Panic and Phobias wit ACMH
- Training in working with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (2013)
- Insecure attachment and Trauma and loss in Children and Teenagers (conference)
- Treating Phobias with Cognitive Behaviourial Hypnotherapy (2014)
- Certificate in EMDR therapy and coaching. 3 Modules with supervision. (2015)
- Treating OCD (NCS workshop) (2016)
- Seminar with Windy Dryden on Self Acceptance
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (Bangor Uni) (2019)
- Compassion Focussed Therapy (2020)
- Working with Adult with Attachment Trauma (2021)
- Modern REBT (Professor Windy Dryden) (2021)ential
- Existential Therapy with Mick Cooper (2021)
- Healing complex post traumatic stress Disorder with Wale Oladipo (2022)
- Parts Therapy Hypnotherapy (2022)
- Depression the Brain and Recovery with Wale Oladipo (2022)
- Developing Self Acceptance (College of Cognitive Behaviourial Therapies) (2022)
- Treating Intrusive thoughts and the inner critical voice (2022)
- Working with Suicide and Suicidal Ideation (2023)
- Supporting Bereaved Children and young People (2023)
- Working with Bereavement and Loss (2024)
In addition to this list I am currently training to teach Mindfulness having completed the first stages with Bangor University.
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Stress in Teenagers (16 - 20)
School related stress
£45.00 - £55.00
Concessions offered for
My Fees are currently charged by the hour:
Smoking Cessation (2 Sessions) :
Private Mindfulness Tuition
Please apply for the rate.
When I work
Tuesdays 10.00 until 9.00 pm, Wednesdays 10.00 until 9.00pm, Thursdays 10.00 until 9.00pm. Others times may be negotiated.
My working hours are:
Tuesday: 10.00 until 9.00pm
Wednesday :10.00 until 9.00pm
Thursday : 10.00 until 9.00pm
Last appointment is at 8.00pm
My clinic is based in a domestic building with a purposefully created fully confidential clinic in an converted attic setting. There is lots of parking available with no parking restrictions, so not the worries of the inner city. There are also good local public transport links.
My practice is known at Krethlow Counselling or just please look up my name Michelle Krethlow Shaw on Google. I have a Blog as well as Website and Facebook page so please just have a look.