Melanie Kirk BA (Hons) Relationships, Anxiety and Depression Specialist.
COVID-19 UPDATE. I AM STILL OFFERING TELEPHONE AND ONLINE COUNSELLING AT THIS TIME. I have various options available, please enquire if you have any queries or concerns. Take care and stay safe.
I don’t underestimate how difficult it is to begin this process, I would imagine that all the choice and terminology you have been presented with thus far may feel a little overwhelming.
The simplest and most valuable piece of guidance that I can give you at this stage would be to select a counsellor that you feel drawn to (even if that person is not me). The therapeutic relationship will underpin the success of any counselling journey you embark upon, and sometimes you may find yourself having to do some searching in order to find the person and approach that is right for you.
If you were to choose me to be your counsellor then I can provide you with a safe, comfortable and therapeutic space to explore what may be causing or maintaining the difficulties you are experiencing. I have a supportive, non- judgemental and empathic disposition and pride myself on being able to quickly establish trusting relationships with my clients.
Where appropriate, I may feel it necessary to challenge you or invite you to consider an alternative interpretation of your thoughts and experiences. In my experience, feedback and the proposal of different perspectives can help to facilitate insight and awareness, which is usually a significant contributor towards change. I can support you to reflect upon your own position on both a conscious and unconscious level, and encourage you to consider how you, or others around you may be contributing towards your difficulties.
Counselling is a very collaborative process and I recognise that YOU are the expert on your own life. I would always encourage regular reviews throughout our work together, to ensure that you feel confident it is heading in the direction you want and need.
I will also be very honest about what I feel is ethically within my remit to support you with. Should you require more specialist input that I feel steps outside my expertise, then I will offer some guidance on signposting or recommendations for different professionals/services available.
I offer professional counselling services to both couples and individuals. Sessions are available on a weekday or evening, and to ensure maximum therapeutic benefit, usually take place on a weekly or fortnightly basis. Alternative durations may also be available upon mutual agreement, but in order to prioritise your welfare this would need to be discussed.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more information, then please contact me to arrange your FREE telephone consultation. Please note that you are under no obligation to book a session following this.
Training, qualifications & experience
Experience Training and Qualifications
The foundation of my training and work experience is with RELATE Derbyshire.
- BA Hons Degree in Counselling Solutions (First Class)
- Diploma in Relationship Counselling (RELATE)
- Couple Therapy for Depression (IAPT Tavistock)
-Children’s Counselling 5-11yrs (Relate)
- Various CPD courses and workshops (ongoing professional development)
I am an integrative counsellor, which means that I can utilise a mix of theories and interventions to best suit your individual needs. My aim is to identify something that is meaningful to you, that makes sense and that you connect with. These will include;
- Solution Focused
- Motivational Interviewing
- Narrative therapy
Examples of areas I can support you with
- Have you or your partner been involved in an emotional or sexual affair?
- Is jealousy or mistrust impacting on you or the relationship with your partner?
- Do you feel that you argue all the time? Has communication broken down?
- Do you long for more affection, love and intimacy?
- Do you or your partner feel that you no longer understand each other?
- Do you want insight in to your own or your partners behaviour?
- Are external stressors impacting on you or your partners relationship? IE a new baby, clash of parenting style, relationships with parents, in laws or friends?
- Are you struggling to adjust to life transitions (new parent, retiring etc)?
- Are you struggling with multiple or specific anxieties?
- Are your responsibilities causing you stress or worry?
- Have you been experiencing low mood, reduced motivation or sadness?
- Do you need to repair confidence or self-esteem?
- Do you want to learn how to become more assertive and maintain appropriate boundaries with those around you?
- Do you feel stuck in a pattern of behaviour that you are unsure how to break away from?
- Have you stopped prioritising your relationship?
- Are you uncertain if you still want to be in a relationship with your partner?
- Perhaps you have decided the relationship will end but you need support to agree boundaries and conditions surrounding the split?
- Do you want to make changes in your relationship but are unsure where to begin?
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- All face to face sessions (individual or couple) are charged at £45 per 60 minutes.
- Telephone appointments and video call appointments are also available for both couples and individuals and are charged at £45 per 60 minutes.
- Please note that payments are taken in advance of each session
I undertake sessions at Wilson Street, DE1 1PL. My room is situated in a stylish Victorian building, it is tastefully decorated and has original timber floors along with a sand blasted brick wall.
Free on street parking is available directly outside the venue Monday- Sunday after 6pm. Alternatively a pay and display car park is conveniently situated a one-minute walk away on the next street (Crompton Street).
- Counselling services can be provided to adults or couples over the age of 18.
- If there is anything I can do to help ease any anxiety you may be feeling about your first appointment, then please do not hesitate to let me know.
- A counselling agreement detailing terms and conditions will need to be signed by all parties at the beginning of the first session.
- I am fully insured and a registered member of the BACP.
- Please see attached Video and photos of my counselling room.