We are a national charity, specialising in couple relationships.
Marriage Care helps couples and individuals build and sustain strong, fulfilling healthy relationships, as well as providing counselling support in times of relationship difficulty regardless of ability to pay. And we’ve been doing this for over 70 years from almost 100 counselling locations across England and Wales.
Most couples have relationship problems sometimes. Our relationship counsellors are skilled at helping you understand how to make your relationship work and will support you in finding your own solutions. Call us between 9am-6pm from Monday to Friday on 0800 389 3801 to make an appointment.
For couples getting married or committing to a long term relationship, our specially designed, thought-provoking marriage preparation courses will equip you with insights and know-how, clarity and confidence to build the best possible future together. For further information visit www.marriagecare.org.uk or call 0800 389 3801,
- Relationship counselling
- Marriage preparation courses
- Facilitation of the FOCCUS programme
- Relationship education
Training, qualifications & experience
All of our counsellors are trained relationship counsellors, or in training. Our training is validated by the BACP. Many of the counsellors are also qualified individual counsellors.
Member organisations *
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling we deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
We offer counselling from almost 100 locations in England and Wales, as shown below:
- Barnet & Enfield - Finsbury Park (N4), Oakwood (N14)
- Birmingham - (B27)
- Blackheath - (SE3)
- Blackpool & the Fylde - (FY1)
- Bournemouth - Bournemouth (BH2), Christchurch (BH23)
- Brighton - (BN1)
- Bristol - (BS8)
- Cardiff - (CF11)
- Carlisle - (CA1)
- Chelmsford - Chelmsford (CM1), South Woodham Ferrers (CM3)
- Colchester - (CO3)
- Coventry - (CV1)
- Crawley - (RH10)
- Croydon - Purley (CR8)
- Eastbourne - Eastbourne (BN23), Seaford (BN25)
- Gloucestershire - Cheltenham (GL50)
- Hereford - (HR8)
- Ilford - Ilford (IG3), Romford (RM6)
- Ipswich - (IP1)
- Leeds & Middlesbrough - Darlington (DL3), Hebden Bridge (HX7), Leeds (LS6), Middlesbrough (TS7), Newton Aycliffe (DL5)
- Lincolnshire - Grimsby (DN34), Lincoln (LN2)
- Liverpool & Wirral - Liverpool (L17), Maghull (L31)
- London - Notting Hill (W11), Stockwell (SW8)
- Manchester - Bolton (BL1), Manchester (M15), Prestwich (M25)
- Medway Towns - Chatham (ME4), Sevenoaks (TN13)
- Milton Keynes - West Bletchley (MK3), Bedford (MK40)
- Newmarket - Ely (CB6), Newmarket (CB8)
- Newport - (NP20)
- Norfolk - Diss (IP22), Norwich (NR2)
- Northamptonshire - Northampton (NN1)
- North East Hants - Aldershot (GU11), Camberley (GU15), Addlestone (KT15)
- North Staffs - Stoke-on-Trent (ST3)
- Nottingham - Nottingham (NG1), Derby (DE22)
- Oxford Abingdon (OX14), Oxford (OX3), Wantage (OX12)
- Portsmouth - (PO1)
- Preston - Hornby (LA2), Lancaster (LA1), Morecambe (LA4), Preston (PR1)
- Reading - Reading (RG5)
- Sheffield - (S2)
- South & Mid Cheshire - Crewe (CW1 2ER), Middlewich (CW10)
- South West - Exeter (EX1), Ivybridge (PL21), Newton Abbott (TQ12), Plymouth (PL3 / PL5), Torquay (TQ1)
- Southampton - Southampton (SO14 / SO15), Winchester (SO23)
- Southend - Rayleigh (SS6)
- Southport - (PR9)
- Stockport - (SK1)
- Swansea - (SA2)
- Trafford / Altrincham - Altrincham (WA14)
- Tyneside - Cleveland (TS1), Newcastle (NE1), Stockton-on-Tees (TS18)
- Warrington - Warrington (WA1), Wigan (WN3)
- Wiltshire - Swindon (SN1)
- Wimbledon - (SW19)
- Wolverhampton & Walsall - Walsall (WS1)
We don’t charge a fixed fee for our counselling service. Each counselling session costs Marriage Care more than £40 to put on, and your counsellor will ask for a contribution bearing this cost in mind. However you will not be turned away because you cannot afford to give very much. If you’re a UK tax payer, you can add Gift Aid to your donation.
Our appointment booking service is available from Mon-Thurs 9am-6pm and Fri 9am - 5pm with an emergency and cancellation service from Mon-Thu 6pm-9pm
Need to talk?
All relationships have ups and downs, but sometimes they can get a bit stuck and it’s hard to talk things through or get to a positive solution. That’s when help from a skilled couple relationship counsellor can make all the difference. Whether you are feeling things just aren’t quite right or whether you are encountering serious difficulties or relationship issues, we are here to listen and to support you towards a positive outcome.
Our core couples counselling service is delivered through one or more 50 minute sessions. Sessions are usually face-to-face and are completely confidential. Call us on 0800 389 3801 to book a session. We also offer telephone counselling – call 0800 389 3801 to see if it suits your situation.
- Appointment booking service 0800 389 3801
- Professionally trained counsellors
- Regular weekly meetings for as long as needed
- 50 minute counselling sessions
- Ongoing professional development for our counsellors
- Over 200 counsellors at more than 100 venues
- Organisational member of the BACP
- No fixed fee, donation based service
- Service available to everybody over age of 16
- Confidential counselling sessions