Louise Edwards FdA Degree, MBACP (Accred) UKRCP
I provide a confidential counselling service for people from all backgrounds and cultures. My aim is to work non-judgmentally and respectfully with clients, in the belief of an individuals capacity for growth and development. I work with clients to build a secure and trusting relationship, and provide a safe environment for them to explore their problems, thoughts and feelings, with a view to finding a better way of coping. I work on both a short or long term basis, depending on individual needs.
I decided to train as a counsellor after an accumulation of life events, and felt a need to increase my knowledge of psychology. Having completed a University BA (Hons) Degree previously, I already had some knowledge about the subject and decided to progress this by studying psychotherapy. I could see how counselling and psychotherapy could help in many different ways such as with self-development, interpersonally, emotionally and spiritually.
Perhaps if you're feeling troubled, anxious, depressed or confused, then it could help to talk about your difficulties with somebody impartial, and with experience and expertise in helping people to find a better way of coping.
My background is in humanistic therapy, but I integrate other models such as cognitive behavioural therapy which can be very helpful when working with issues of anxiety, depression or phobias. I also use attachment theory and developmental trauma interventions, according to each individuals needs.
For more information about my work, please view my website www.louiseedwardscounselling.co.uk
Training, qualifications & experience
MBACP Accred - I'm an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, which means I have been assessed as a "competent, ethical and independent practitioner".
UKRCP Registered - (United Kingdom Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists)
FdA - Foundation Degree in Counselling 2008
NCFED - (National Centre for Eating Disorders). I have an Advanced Diploma in Master Practitioner Skills in Eating Disorders and Nutritional Interventions for Eating Disorders (NCFED) 2011
CIPCA - I'm a member of CIPCA (Counsellors in Primary Care Association) and have ongoing training with them.
CBT - Certificate 2009
NCFE - Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory Levels 1,2 &3, 2005
- I currently work as an in-house psychotherapist counselling students at a local theatrical arts college.
- I worked for 6 years as a counsellor for a local GP surgery.
- I have two years experience of working in a corporate setting.
- I have several years experience working with young people from the age of 14 onwards, having worked as a counsellor at the YMCA, Redhill, and counselling students at the Royal Holloway University, Egham, Surrey.
- I have several years experience of issues related to disabilities such as Autism, Alzheimers, Aspergers, Downs Syndrome, MS, Speech and Language difficulties and some knowledge of sign language.
- I have knowledge of the care environment, and considerable comprehension of the difficulties and issues faced by both carers and the cared for.
- Issues related to infertility (and treatment) and it's effects on individuals and relationships.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Eating disorders
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
I charge £50 per session, after an initial free 30 minute consultation.
I also offer a reduced rate for people on benefits and for young people under the age of 25.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays and some evenings available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|