Dr Keith Abbott
I’m passionate about helping you make more of your life, work and relationships, whether that involves finding more meaning, purpose, direction, happiness or fulfilment. I have
- a research PhD (doctorate) from examining modern approaches to spiritual enlightenment
- a Masters degree (with Distinction) in Person-Centred Counselling & Psychotherapy Practice,
- an Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples Counselling,
- a Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision,
- a clear enhanced DBS check and
I also bring my life experience including of hard knocks as well as qualifications to our sessions. I've worked in industry, law and university teaching, have wide experience of people, relationships, families, organizations and conflict (and a black belt in ki-aikido).
What I do and where I do it
My approach is non-judgmental, allowing clients opportunities to experience new self-understandings empowering them to make improvements. You don't need a "diagnosis" - I also help people improve already positive aspects of their lives. I'm committed to helping people gain strength and change in ways best for them.
I counsel in Loughborough and Nottingham town centres. I also offer counselling by telephone and online video/audio chat and by arrangement at other venues convenient to you or at your home.
Who I help
I work with equal numbers of men and women. My clients include:
- Private individuals, couples and groups from many backgrounds and nationalities
- Professionals inc. teachers, lecturers, professors, lawyers, medical / psychiatric doctors, nurses and adult social carers, designers, software/computer professionals, sales and marketing, company directors, ...
- A vast variety of other workers, retired and unemployed people inc. tradespeople, labourers, mechanics...
- International students and workers
- UK students studying a variety of higher education courses inc. engineering, sciences, social sciences, education, counselling, law, English....
I also offer supervision to individuals and groups of trainee and qualified counsellors and by arrangement other workers and caring/reflective professionals.
What I help with
Essentially I help people make more of their life, work and relationships and typically (though not always) that involves helping them towards greater fulfilment, well-being and happiness.
There is a long list of ticked "conditions" or "issues" with which counselling may help below. However, the counselling approach I use is non-diagnostic so I always consider that I am working with a person not just a their troubles or an illness. This means that the approach to your troubles we take in counselling sessions will be bespoke to you.
I am also here to help you improve aspects of your life that are already going well but you would like to go even better. Counselling really is all about you.
To find out more
Please get in touch with me to discuss how counselling may help you on your own unique journey and with your own unique problems.
Training, qualifications & experience
Relevant qualifications, certifications and memberships:
- MA (with distinction) in Person-Centred Experiential Counselling & Psychotherapy Practice from Nottingham University.
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples Counselling
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision
- Clear Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check which you’re welcome to inspect
- Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP (Accred)) and follow their ethical code (see www.bacp.co.uk )
- Member of the The Person-Centred Association ( see https://www.the-pca.org.uk/ ).
Prior counselling work:
I have counselled at an NHS hospital, at a counselling charity in Nottingham, and in private practice in Nottingham and Loughborough.
Other experience and qualifications
I have not come to work as a counsellor “straight from school” but draw upon life and work experiences of hard knocks and working alongside and with people from many different backgrounds.
I’ve worked in the quarrying industry and legal profession. I have a social science PhD in modern approaches to enlightenment and have taught UK and international students at Loughborough University.
Continuing professional development
As an accredited member of BACP I do continuing professional development courses and activities relevant to my counselling practice.
My work is professionally supervised to BACP-approved standards.
I'm professionally insured.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Culture shock. (This can effect international workers, students and indeed almost any of us when we might have to "fit in" to an unfamiliar setting, such as a new work environment or family unit.)
Religion-related troubles (family, personal and psychological issues related to changing religion including leaving a "cult" or cult-like group/organization)
Spiritual/philosophical issues - including anxiety about the "meaning of life"
I'm also keen to help you increase the positive things in your life, such as:
- Personal and professional growth
- Building on your strengths and successes
- Making more of your good relationships
- Counselling can help you get more of what is right in your life, as well as get less of what isn’t right.
From £42.00 to £60.00
Concessions offered for
EAP/Health Insurance Providers
Counselling sessions are 50 minutes long. For individual clients having one-to-one counselling my charges range overall from approx £42 up to £60:
My standard rate for adult counselling and psychotherapy is £60 per 50 minute session. I offer lower, discounted session pricing for prepaid block bookings of a series of 6 sessions so the sixth session of the block is free.
For students studying a full-time Higher Education course at a UK institution and counselling students/trainees needing to undertake counselling as a course requirement single sessions are £50 and the 6th session of any prepaid block is free.
Home visit pricing is individually negotiated.
Please ask for further details explaining your own circumstances.
For info about Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), corporate, and other business-related services please enquire by email.
I counsel weekdays, including some evenings and occasional/emergency weekend appointments.
*** Due to the COVID-19 pandemic at present I am working online/by telephone only ***
My aim is to help you move from being in a difficult place to somewhere you desire to be, making positive choices to change your life for the better.
I'd love to hear from you - please get in touch.
(My title “Dr” denotes a PhD research qualification and is not a clinical/medical title)