Dr. Kajal Patel Clinical Psychologist, C.Psychol, DClinPsy, BSc.(Hons)
I am an experienced Clinical Psychologist with over 14 years’ experience specialising in working with children and young people, and their parents/carers and families. My specialism is in helping with anxiety, low mood, low confidence/ lack of self-esteem, difficulties with relationships and friendships, behavioural challenges and parenting support/ consultation and family work.
When working therapeutically with individuals or families my approach is always collaborative and non-blaming. I believe that in addition to talking about difficulties it is also important to identify and build on the strengths and resilience of a person.
People often have mixed feelings about meeting with a Clinical Psychologist/ Therapist and may have concerns about stigma, wasting people’s time etc. My personal view is that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time and that therapy is one tool to help people get unstuck and move forward, allowing them to get on with their lives.
PROBLEMS I CAN HELP WITH
- Anxiety including generalised anxiety, phobias, panic, obsessive compulsive disorder
- Worry including exam worries, health or illness worries
- Depression, sadness, low mood
- Anger issues
- Bullying or other school related issues
- Friendship/ relationship issues
- Low self-esteem, lack of self confidence
- Eating related issues
- Diagnostic assessments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Autism Spectrum Condition/ Asperger’s Syndrome (ASC)
- Management of the difficulties associated with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Autism Spectrum Condition/ Asperger’s Syndrome (ASC)
- Family issues including changes to the family resulting from illness, bereavement, divorce
- Behavioural difficulties, tantrums
- Sleep issues
- Parenting support/ coaching
- Parental mental health issues including post-natal depression
Please contact me for a brief free telephone consultation to discuss the needs of your child and/ or family.
I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and I am a Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society and a member of the Division of Clinical Psychology.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am an experienced Clinical Psychologist offering specialist psychological therapy to children, adolescents, young adults and their parents/ carers.
I have over 19 years’ experience of working within the NHS, and 14 years specifically with children and young people. I am trained in a variety of therapeutic models including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), systemic (family) therapy and Personal Construct Therapy (PCP) and use these models integratively in my work in order to best meet the needs of an individual.
I initially completed a three year undergraduate degree accredited by the British Psychological Society in Psychology (BSc. Hons) at University of Wales, College of Cardiff.
I then went on to do a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy) at University of Hertfordshire. This was a full time professional clinical training program which included training in assessment skills, therapeutic models and interventions for all age groups and research methods in Clinical Psychology.
I later completed the following further training:
Postgraduate Diploma in Systemic (Family Therapy) Practice with Families and Couples
Postgraduate Certificate in Children and Young People’s Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (CYP-IAPT) Supervision
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Initial telephone consultation (10-15 mins) - FREE
Session rate £100 (50-60 mins). This rate applies to all sessions types i.e. individual, family, couple, attendance at school meetings and telephone liaison with other professionals.
Fees are payable by bank transfer prior to the session or by cash/ cheque at the appointment.
I am registered with, and accept clients from, several of the main private health insurance companies. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to check if your provider is included.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client