Julia Berthon, MBACP (Reg), MBPsS
I am an experienced psychotherapist and counsellor working in a cosy place in central Newmarket, with dedicated parking and easy access. I see people wanting to make changes in their personal & professional lives. I am also a trauma & PTSD specialist.
However long, therapy is a journey which starts with you feeling unwell or left with unresolved questions and seeking for some answers and improvements. You are welcome to contact me if you are experiencing any individual, identity, school or professional, family or couple difficulty you cannot manage on your own any more and including:
- Having current or longer term emotional, personal or relationship difficulties?
- Experienced a loss or a trauma?
- Needing some support and a space on your own during a challenging time?
- Wanting to understand yourself better?
‘Counselling’ and ‘Psychotherapy’ are often used interchangeably although counselling is generally more focused and shorter -typically 6-12 weeks- and therapy is more in-depth and longer term. Both are about changing through talking, where the therapist acts as a catalyst to bring this change about.
Whoever you are, you fully deserve the support you need. Sharing the story of your distress will help you make some positive changes because it is cathartic and healing that your testimony is witnessed, held and acknowledged by another.
Training, qualifications & experience
After a 10-year career as a lawyer, my passion for human potentialities led me to become a coach and a trainer on work-related and life issues. Then I qualified as a psychologist and psychodynamic psychotherapist.
- As a psychotherapist, I work integratively. I have dealt with a wide range of mental health issues from mild to complex.
- As a trauma & PTSD specialist, I work at different stages of the psychological trauma with issues such as historic and recent sexual abuse, terrorism, road accidents, domestic and physical violence, most of them coming along with grief and loss, relationship, dissociation and body issues.
- As a coach, I work with a solution-focused and person-centered approach. 13 years ago, I founded a charity supporting young people and students in their choice of studies and career, and training volunteer mentors of companies involved in aid programmes. During 7 years I also ran my own company specialising in HR support, professional assessment, the development of managerial skills and the prevention of psychosocial risk.
I currently work in mental health charities in Cambridge (CPSL Mind; The Cogwheel Trust CIO) and I practice privately with adults, young people, couples and families.
As part of a good practice I have undertaken my own personal therapy for a number of years. I update and widen my practice with ongoing continuing professional development and reflective practice through group, peer and individual supervision.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
I offer a discounted rate of £40 for your initial consultation (excluding organisations).
Individual session: £60 (50 minutes)
Organisation: £70 (50 minutes)
Couple session: £70 (50 minutes)
Family session: £80 (1 hour)
Face-to-face in Newmarket on Wednesday & Thursday / Online & telephone on demand
- BACP Registered Psychotherapist and Counsellor
- Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Certificate in Trauma Treatment (BPS approved)
- CBT modules (BPS approved)
- Training in Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Post-graduate Certificate in Psychodynamic Psychotrauma
- Training in Family and Couple Therapy
- Training in Group Dynamics
- Post-graduate Certificate in Child Protection
- Professional Master’s Degree in Psychopathologies and psychodynamic Psychotherapy (Hons)
- Post-graduate Certificate in Coaching
- MA in Business and Intellectual Property Law
- And numerous short courses and CPD seminars