Dr Jo Coombs
Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Systemic Practitioner
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
My name is Dr. Jo Coombs and I am a Consultant Clinical Psychologist with over twelve years’ experience of providing high-quality, personalised clinical psychology services to individuals, couples, families, teams and services. I have a clinical psychology practice in Berkshire called Join Psychology. You can find out more about the practice and the help we provide at: www.joinpsychology.co.uk. You are very welcome to contact me if you would like to talk about how I may be able to help.
Psychological Therapy: What you can expect
Clinical Psychologists are trained in many different psychological approaches which means we are able to use the ideas that are best suited to helping you make meaningful changes in your life. It is important that we use the approaches that will help you make sense of your current difficulties, change unhelpful patterns and embed new ways of thinking, feeling and relating which will help you in the longer-term. I have many years’ experience of working therapeutically with individuals, couples and families and offer both short and medium-term psychological therapies.
I am a warm and empathic clinician and always aim to develop a strong, safe therapeutic relationship with my clients and work collaboratively together to help you make meaningful changes in your life. In psychological therapy, I work integratively, which means that I may draw on a number of psychological approaches, including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Attachment Narrative Therapy (ANT), Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT), Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Systemic therapies. This means that we will use the psychological ideas that best make sense of your difficulties and help you move towards change. I strongly believe in helping people harness their natural strengths and resources and in reconnecting to their support networks to help sustain changes over time.
I offer psychological therapies for people affected by mental health difficulties, psychological, emotional and relational difficulties. I am also able to offer adapted psychological therapies for people affected by Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Areas I am able to work with include:
- Adjustment to life events, transitions, illness and diagnosis
- Anxiety difficulties, including generalized anxiety, panic, health anxiety and chronic worry
- Attachment difficulties
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC)
- Identity issues
- Learning/Intellectual difficulties/disability
- Low self-esteem
- Low self-confidence
- Mood difficulties, including depression
- Stress, including work-related stress and burnout
- Isolation and loneliness
- Friendship and relationship problems
- Work-related stress
- Bereavement and loss
- Carer support
- Communication problems
- Family and relationship difficulties
Diagnostic assessments of Autism Spectrum Conditions
I have particular expertise in diagnostic assessments of Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) in adults and experience of working therapeutically with people affected by Autism Spectrum Conditions and their families. I am also trained in the diagnostic assessment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and experienced in supporting people and their families to adjust to the impact of ADHD in their lives. I have many years’ experience of offering tailored training and consultation programmes to teams and services in the fields of mental health, psychological wellbeing, relationships and neurodevelopmental conditions.
If you are coming to see me for a diagnostic assessment of an Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC), we will spend time together talking about your reasons for seeking assessment, answer any questions you may have and complete an in-depth assessment using the nationally-recommended assessment tools. It is important that we consider the potential ASC diagnosis in the context of your broader life and experiences so we can develop a tailored understanding of your needs. I may also ask your permission to speak with people who know you well, particularly someone who can tell us about your childhood development and experiences. I always aim to help people to make personal sense of any diagnosis made.
Training, qualifications & experience
My core training is as a clinical psychologist and since qualifying in 2008, I have chosen to specialise in a range of assessment and therapeutic approaches to strengthen my knowledge and skills as a clinical psychologist. I am passionate about continuing to broaden my psychological knowledge and deepen my therapeutic skills. I also continue to strengthen my skills in specialist psychological assessment of Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
In addition to my clinical psychology practice, I also work with children and young people with backgrounds of complex trauma and who are supported in specialist educational and residential settings which also involves supporting families and wider networks to understand and support the child’s particular set of needs.
In NHS services, I have historically worked with people affected by Intellectual Disabilities (ID), Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and acute and progressive neurological conditions providing both diagnostic assessments and integrative psychological therapies to individuals, couples, families, groups and teams.
Core and Specialist Therapeutic Trainings
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, University of Surrey.
- PsychD Clinical Psychology, University of Surrey.
- Graduate and Post-Graduate Certificates in Systemic Practice (Families and Couples), Institute of Family Therapy (IFT).
- Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT), Level One, Salomons Centre for Applied Psychology, Canterbury Christchurch University.
- Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Richman Training.
- Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS), Full Chartered Member, Membership number: 198463.
- Full Member of the Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP), British Psychological Society (BPS).
- Registered Practitioner Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Membership number: PYL05126.
- Full Member of the Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (AFT).
- Approved Supervisor on the BPS Register of Approved Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS).
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment Issues
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Conditions
- Demand Avoidance, including Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA)
- Emotional Problems
- Family Therapy
- Pathological Demand Avoidance
- Relationship Problems
- Family Problems
£125.00 per session
Fees for Psychological Therapy:
- £125 per 60-minute session for individuals.
- £190 per 90-minute session for initial assessments and couple/family sessions.
Fees for diagnostic assessments of Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC):
- Fees for autism spectrum initial consultation sessions are £250.
- Fees for diagnostic assessments of ASC are £1,850. The fee for the initial consultation session is deducted from the overall assessment fee. Please see my website for further information about what is included.
Fees for clinical supervision of other allied health professionals:
- Fees for clinical supervision are £75 per hour.
I am also registered with major private health insurance providers, including AVIVA, AXA PPP, BUPA, Cigna, Simply Health, Vitality Health and WPA. Please contact your health insurance provider if you would like to access psychological assessment and/or therapy with me as they will need to authorise this for you before we can begin our work together.
When I work
Monday - Thursday, 09:00 - 18:00
I am also able to provide bespoke training and consultation to teams and services related to psychological wellbeing, mental health, relationships and neurodevelopment conditions. If you have any questions at all, or think I may be able to help, please get in touch. My contact details can be found at: www.joinpsychology.co.uk