Jo Ashburner MA (CBT) BA(Hons) 1st Class PgDip (CYP) PgDip (CBT) MBACP
Hi. My name is Jo Ashburner and I am a fully qualified and accredited CBT Psychotherapist and Counsellor working in Swansea. I work with men, women, teenagers and children aged 7 and above and provide therapy that is tailored to your individual needs and circumstances.
I'm a married mother of 3, have a dog and 2 cats, and enjoy photography. I am also a professional, friendly, empathic and open-minded therapist who understands that life is sometimes tough. Seeking help from someone like me takes bravery and trust, and that alone gains my respect. I won't judge you or what you tell me, but will work together with you to help you.
Swansea is a small place and I fully appreciate the need for a confidential and private service. My therapy room is in a lovely calm building that is also home to the Lazy Frog floatation centre. The room is quiet, spacious and comfortable, with water, squash, biscuits and comfy cushions.
Evidence-based protocols, research and experience guide my interventions in helping you to gain clarity and understand what is triggering, and maintaining your difficulties, and what we can do so that positive change can be achieved. This will focus on your thoughts, emotions, behaviours, physical feelings, life experiences, and beliefs about yourself and others that may have been gained in early childhood or anytime since.
People often ask me about strategies, and these may be acquired through gaining a different perspective on something, learning to challenge an unhelpful thought, completing a worksheet, mindfulness, breathing exercises or behaving in a deliberate but different way to usual. Some people like to work with pens and paper, others prefer creative materials, or simply to talk, and all of this can be accommodated to suit you personally.
Trying to choose a therapist from these pages can be quite daunting so If you’d like to phone to discuss whether I may be able to help you or your child, or to ask me any other questions, please feel welcome to do so, or if you text me your name and number, I will willingly call you back.
If you want to make an appointment to see me, all you need to do is contact me to let me know by phone, text or email, and then we can work out a mutually convenient day and time.
Professional Organisation memberships
I am an accredited member of the BACP and a member of the BABCP
Training, qualifications & experience
CBT & Counselling Psychotherapy
- MA Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- BA (Hons) First Class : Counselling & Psychology
- PgDip level 7 : Therapeutic Counselling : CBT
- PgDip level 7 : Integrative counselling for Children and Young People
- PgCert Level 5 : Therapeutic Counselling
- BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision 2013 – This certificate is approved by the BPS (British Psychological Society), the only UK psychology and psychotherapy body established by Royal Charter and one of the primary national leads in determining national recommendation on clinical supervision across a range of groups.
I mostly work face to face, but am also experienced working via telephone and Skype.
I have experience of working with men, women and children aged 7-70 in a variety of settings which include
- Private Practice
- NHS Psychological Services
- Secondary schools
- University student services
- Charity counselling services
- Childline telephone counselling
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Photos & videos
CBT & Counselling
£50 per 50 minute session
Concessions available for counselling students needing therapy as part of a course
£50 per 60 minute session
£65 per 90 minute supervision session
My phone is usually switched to silent. Please feel welcome to leave a voice message or send a text and I will respond to you as soon as I can.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Tipyn bach o Cymraeg.|
Appointments are made at mutually convenient times Monday - Friday.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer supervision to qualified and trainee counsellors and other professionals who work with adults, children and adolescents.