As a counsellor my aim is to promote the emotional health and well-being of my clients.This stems from my background in nursing.
I am a Human Givens Psychotherapist, Hypnotherapist, Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, and a Registered General Nurse. Inner Harmony was established in 2003 as a counselling and stress management service, offering counselling for individuals and couples, workshops and seminars for organisations and also Personal retreats. My practice is based in Perth, and my clients travel from all over Scotland and England for therapy and a personal retreat.
What is Human Givens Therapy?
We all have basic physical and emotional needs such as the need for attention, love, security, connection and control, and the self esteem that arises from competence and being stretched in our lives. Nature also gave us the resources to help us meet such needs including memory, imagination, problem solving abilities, self awareness and a range of different thinking styles to use in various changing situations. It is these needs and resources together, which are built into our biology, that make up the Human Givens. When emotional needs are not met or when our resources are used incorrectly, we suffer considerable distress, along with those around us.
As a Human Givens Therapist I focus on helping clients identify unmet emotional need and empower them to meet those needs by activating their own resources in new ways. I use a variety of up-to-date, proven techniques aimed at problem solving.
As your Therapist I will:
- Help you think about your problems in new and more empowering ways
- Help you to build on your own resources
- Increase your self confidence
- Give information and advice as needed
- Not dwell unduly on the past
- Be supportive when difficult feelings emerge, but not encourage you to remain in an emotionally aroused state
- Understand depression and how to lift it
- Give immediate help with anxiety, panic disorder/attacks, fears and trauma
- Help you to overcome rage, aggression and anger with effective anger management
- Use a wide range of techniques as appropriate
- Teach you to relax deeply
- Take as few sessions as possible
- Make sure you feel better after each consultation.
I am pleased to say that over the years I have contributed to improving the emotional and physical health of individuals troubled with stress and stress-related illnesses. I have helped clients:
- Free themselves from emotional problems such as anxiety, anger and postnatal depression to enable them to enjoy life once again.
- Who have been traumatised by abusive relationships, car accidents, combat experience and complications of childbirth to live their life without flashbacks or bad memories.
- Who have low self-confidence or low self-esteem and who feel panicky and cannot sleep at night, to restore harmony and balance to their emotional energy, as well as achieve a greater sense of control, confidence and self-esteem.
- Overcome addictions, obsessive compulsive disorder, bullying, trauma, abuse, fears or phobias so they feel in control.
- Adjust to loss, grief and bereavement and find purpose and meaning in life again.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a qualified Human Givens Therapist and a member of the Human Givens Institute(MGHI). I have worked in private practice since 2003. Since then I have qualified as a Hypnotherapist (C Hyp) and Master of Neuro Linguistic Programming (MNLP) and I am a member of the UKGHE. My background is in general nursing. I also have over 20 years of experience of bereavement counselling through volunteering for a National charity as a counsellor and supervisor.
Human Givens Institute
The Human Givens Institute (HGI) is both a membership organisation and a professional body representing the interests of those in the caring and teaching professions who have an interest in or utilise the human givens approach. Counselling Directory register Registered Members (MHGI) and Fellow Members (FHGI), who will have completed the Post Graduate Practitioner's Assessment (Part III) and who are fully qualified to practise as a human givens therapist or counsellor. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Discover a new approach to healthy eating and learn how to eat mindfully and recognise when you are eating for reason’s other than hunger. The latest research shows that people who eat mindfully not only lose weight but also keep it off.
Counselling focuses on helping clients change their feelings, moods and beliefs, and to be more positive about themselves. This means changing their negative self-image which is achieved by a variety of techniques such as relaxation, visualisation, and
Trauma or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD):
Trauma can be caused by a single traumatic event (i.e. childbirth, car accident) or be the accumulative effect of experiencing repeated events or incidents. It can develop into Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Symptoms of Traumatic Stress may include: Flashbacks; Nightmares; Hallucinations; Bad Memories; Disturbed Sleep; Social and Emotional Withdrawal; Hyper-vigilance; Inability to Concentrate; Outbursts of Anger; Avoidance of people, places or activities; A Sense of having a foreshortened future.
Symptoms can show immediately after a traumatic incident or take a long time to develop. If left untreated, individuals are likely to develop depression, anxiety, panic attacks and phobias. They may start excessive drinking, smoking or drugs as they feel increasingly isolated and unable to cope, with possibly suicidal thoughts.
The effects can, therefore, be overwhelming and have long-lasting consequences, disrupting and disabling people’s lives. This trauma will not heal untreated, and over time will cause great physical and emotional stress to the victim as well as family, friends and colleagues.
Human Givens therapists can treat post traumatic stress disorders effectively and quickly by using ‘The Rewind Technique’. This treatment is carried out using relaxation and guided imagery and has several benefits:
- The client does not have to talk about their traumatic experience
- It is totally safe – no risk of embedding the trauma
- It is fast - A person often feels dramatically better after only one session
This technique reprocesses the traumatic event so that it becomes stored as a normal memory, albeit a bad or sad memory, rather than one that causes flashbacks and other symptoms.
A counselling session lasts about 60 - 75 minutes. My fees are:
Children 16 years and under and full time students - £60
Adults - £70
Couples - £80
I work from my home in Perth. I am situated on Kinnoull Hill, just one mile out of the city. The best way to reach me is by car and there is plenty of room for parking. Unfortunately, we are not on a good bus route but a taxi from the centre is about £6 and after your session, it is a pleasant stroll back down the hill again.
I am available to see clients for daytime or evening appointments on weekdays. I can also see clients from 10 am - 3 pm on a Saturday.
I can offer clients a Personal retreat, so they can come and stay for a few days or longer and receive counselling on a daily basis to help them address their issues. They stay in a self-contained spacious apartment, that is an annexe to our house. We live in a wonderful setting that is in the countryside, but only one mile into Perth. Contact me for more information or visit my website.