Jackie O'Brien - 'PGDip Counc'
As a professional Counsellor and Psychotherapist, I am able to offer you therapeutic counselling within the safe and confidential boundaries of the 'Oak Therapy Room'. I work with Adults, Young People and Children supporting in a variety of different ways, including talking therapy and working creatively. Mediums such as paints, sand-tray and clay may be right for you to help put words to difficult, overwhelming feelings and emotions in a non-threatening way.
Changes large or small can make you feel unstable and/or uprooted. I can support you to find your feet once again, either on new ground or that which is familiar. You do not have to face these changes alone. Counselling is a very personal experience and is different for everyone, it is not about me giving advice or persuading you to do something, being judgmental or criticizing you.
I understand how scary it can be to make that first move to get the help you need. I would like to reassure you, that trust and respect are integral to the way I work as a counsellor. Together we will go at your pace and with what you need on your healing journey.
Why don't you email, text or call me to set up an initial session for which there is no charge; we can talk about what you would like to get from having counselling and I can answer any questions you may have. If you decide to continue, we can book a second session and then arrange to meet on a regular basis depending on your need. The initial session can last up to an hour.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy - 2008
- Certificate in Emotional Literacy for Children - 2008
- Certificate in The Emotional Needs of the Child (Assessment and Action Planning) - 2012
- Certificate in Therapeutic Play - 2013
- Certificate in Dialectical Behavior Therapy - Skills and Strategies - 2014
- Certificate in Family Constellation Practice 1-1's - 2016
- Certificate in Family Constellation Practice 1-1's - 2017 (Family Constellation therapy is a systemic approach to understanding family dynamics)
- Diploma in Health and Social Care - Advanced Level 3 - 2017
- Focusing Training - 2018
- POD's Training - Child sexual abuse - Hope for healing - 2019
- POD's Training - Trauma and the Body - Dissociation and Somatisation - 2019
- POD's Training - Working with Relational Trauma - Dealing with Disorganised Attachment - 2019
Previously, I have worked for 10 years within the Secondary Education, supporting young people who were close to permanent exclusion. More recently I have worked for four and a half years, as part of a CAMHs (Child and Adolescence Mental Health) nursing team within an inpatient ward. I now work as a private counsellor within my own counselling practice which was established in 2015.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
My Fees are £40.00 for a full one-hour session.
- I have Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance
- I have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Certificate
- I am an I.C.O member
- I have regular Supervision, in line with the BACP Code of Ethics
“I began seeing Jackie for therapy sessions after some personal difficulties prompted me to realise that unresolved trauma from childhood had left me with poor coping mechanisms. From my first session with Jackie, I really felt acknowledged and accepted. Probably for the first time ever, I was listened to without judgement, and I felt able to safely and confidentially explore the issues that had been holding me back from healing.
As the sessions progressed, I began to feel a weight lifting from my shoulders. I became able to think more clearly about my own needs, and how I may have been neglecting these over the years. The path to healing was at times challenging, as I needed to explore some repressed emotions. However, I felt fully supported by Jackie during this process, and was able to take the sessions at my own pace.
As a result of therapy sessions, I feel like my life has some clear direction, both personally and professionally; I recently embarked upon an Open University course and found the confidence to apply for the job that I had always wanted- and I got the job! I feel much more able to cope with the challenges that life throws at me, and I feel that my coping mechanisms are now healthy and positive. I highly recommend therapy sessions with Jackie. Therapy has changed the way that I think about my life and given me a better understanding of my emotions, and the tools to be able to process them.”
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer daytime, evening and some Saturday morning appointments. Please don't hesitate to email or phone me to find out availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|