Dr Hilary Plant Reg. UKCP
I am an experienced, qualified psychotherapist and I work with a range of issues including emotional responses to ill health. I provide a safe, secure and confidential space to talk about, explore and understand the issues that life may present and which, when unresolved, may lead to unwanted feelings such as anxiety and depression.
I work with warmth and compassion creating the opportunity for you to make sense and understand some of the things that have happened to you. Sessions may involve thinking about the past as well as what is going on now. Together, we will establish a trusting relationship to safely address these experiences hopefully enabling a more emotionally flexible, responsive and enjoyable life.
My training enables me to draw on a range of therapeutic approaches and is informed by my experience as a therapist and over 40 year of working in the NHS in a variety of roles.
Please contact me to arrange an initial session where we can discuss your priorities for therapy sessions and whether we feel we could work together to achieve this. I provide brief and longer-term sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PhD, MSc, BA, RGN, UKCP Registered Integrative Psychotherapist
- Integrative Psychotherapist accredited with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy through the Metanoia Institute in 2012, Registration Number 2011162857. My training and wide experience enables me to draw on a range of appropriate therapeutic approaches to attend to an individual’s unique experience.
- My long career has had many facets and has included counselling, bereavement counselling, supervising, teaching and service development. I was a Schwartz Round facilitator, supporting staff before I retired from the NHS and have published journal articles and book chapters on various projects to improve the experience of patients.
- Registered General Nurse, 1981. Working in the NHS from 1978 in a variety of clinical roles to support patients, their families and the staff who care for them. I was also involved in management and research.
- Ph.D. Understanding the Experiences of the Families of People with Cancer (2000, King’s College London). As a qualitative researcher I have been involved with many projects to improve patient care.
- BA (Hons) in History (1990, London School of Economics)
- My last NHS post was as Head of the Macmillan Support and Information Service and Clinical Lead for Supportive Cancer Care at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
Issues I work with
- Emotional response to life events particularly health issues
- Family disruption caused by ill health
- Facing loss
- Pre-bereavement and bereavement
- Developmental trauma
- Current relationship struggles
- Work related stress
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have availability on fridays
Types of client