Dr Elizabeth Edginton
PGDip, MACP, PhD
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
I am a fully qualified Senior Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist with full NHS training and over 10 years’ NHS experience.
I provide specialist treatment for children, teenagers and young adults aged 0-25 with all types of emotional, behavioural, and/or mental health difficulties. I offer both short-term and long-term work, depending on the type and severity of your child or young person's presentation.
Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy can help with:
· Birth trauma, bonding/attachment difficulties, clinginess/separation anxiety
· Potty training, wetting, and soiling
· Feeding or eating difficulties
· Sleep issues
· Behaviour difficulties, temper tantrums, anger, aggression, and lashing out
· Anxiety, obsessive/controlling behaviour, over-thinking, panic attacks
· School issues, low self-esteem, lack of confidence, friendships, bullying
· Depression or low mood
· Loss and bereavement
· Sexuality and gender identity issues
· Traumatic experiences or wider family trauma
Training, qualifications & experience
- I completed both my pre-clinical (2-year) and clinical (4-year) post-graduate training as a Child Psychotherapist at the Birmingham Trust for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and qualified in 2010. This training is recognised by the Department of Health as being equivalent to a clinical doctorate.
- I have previously worked in NHS Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in the West Midlands, Oxfordshire, and Yorkshire.
- I completed specialist additional training for brief work with babies, toddlers, and pre-school children and their parents - called the Tavistock Under 5s Training - in 2011, and have experience of working with under 5s in a Sure Start Children’s Centre, as well as in the NHS.
- I am a fully registered member of the Association of Child Psychotherapists (MACP), which is regulated by the Professional Standards Authority, and, in addition to private practice with 0-11 year olds, currently work with older adolescents and young adults in a local University Counselling Service.
- I have taught for five years on post-graduate degree courses at the renowned Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families in London.
- I have led National Institute of Health Research funded research on children aged 5-11 with treatment resistant behaviour problems for the Department of Health, and have an MSc in Applied Health Research.
- Prior to training as a Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist, I was a university lecturer working in Departments of English Language, English Literature, and Cultural Studies, so I have a range of academic qualifications (BA (Hons.), MLitt and PhD) in this field. I’m also a qualified teacher and university teacher (PGCE, PGCE HE).
Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP)
The ACP is the registering body for NHS trained Child and Adolescent Psychotherapists. ACP members undergo a minimum 6 year training; two years at Masters level then 4 years full-time clinical in the NHS qualifying in a Doctorate Level course. Full members are able to work with neonates, mothers & babies, parents & toddlers, primary school age children & adolescents. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£80.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
I offer a free 15 minute telephone 'parent(s) only' consultation in the first instance, so that you can find out more about the service.
All subsequent sessions will cost £80 per session.
When I work
I am currently available on Friday afternoons and early evening.
Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy is an in-depth, specialist therapeutic treatment which involves close observation of your child or young person's verbal and non-verbal behaviour and where appropriate, their play or drawings, and helps your child or young person to put his/her feelings into words.
It provides a safe and supportive space for parents to think about and express their emotions about their child or young person's feelings and/or behaviour on a wide range of issues, so that we can think together about practical solutions that might help.
Toys and where appropriate, drawing materials, will be provided for your child's use during his/her therapy sessions.
To find out more, please see my website at:
and then email or phone me and leave your name and contact number for a free 15 minute consultation.