Dawn Purver, CTA, MSc Psychotherapy, Dipl Counselling, MBACP (Accred)
Welcome to my profile! I am a private practitioner providing both counselling and psychotherapy. My counselling rooms are located in Chandlers Ford, close to Winchester and Southampton, set within a discrete building with free parking, good public transport links and only a couple of minutes from J12 M3.
I also work from Basingstoke in the Chineham area.
What is counselling or therapy?
"Therapy offers you a safe, confidential place to talk about your life and anything that may be confusing, painful or uncomfortable. It allows you to talk with someone who is trained to listen attentively and to help you improve things". (BACP- British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists, 2012)
I have a number of specialist areas: cross cultural work, issues relating to third culture and re-entry into birth country, childhood sexual abuse, rape and trauma; in addition I have a great deal of experience working with depression, anxiety, stress, loss and relationship difficulties. My therapeutic work and client experience has involved extensive periods of living and working overseas as an expatriate, and also within the humanitarian sector; I am therefore familiar with these challenges.
How do I work?
I work with each person in a way that is meaningful to where they are in life at that point in time. This means that I will work with you to understand how you see the world, your values and what is important to you and together find a way forward towards a more fulfilling life.
My way of working is relational, using an integrated approach; I therefore utilise different theoretical models as they suit each person as a unique human being. It maybe that you have a diagnosis and together we would explore the root causes and the potential you have to make the changes you want.
I work with anyone over the age of 16 and I hold an enhanced CRB certificate.
I can provide both long term, and short term therapy and we would agree an initial number of sessions and review continually throughout our therapeutic relationship.
If you have any queries, or you would like to make an appointment please contact me either by email, or mobile.
I very much look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Relational TA Psychotherapy: Metanoia Institute (Middlesex University)
- Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA)
- Clinical Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapeutic Counselling: Metanoia Institute
- HE Certificate in Humanistic Counselling based on TA: Winchester University
- Certificate in Counselling Skills: Basingstoke College of Technology
- I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice. I am also a member of the following Transactional Analysis professional organisations: EATA, and UKATA.
- Tutor and Team Leader (Mental Health) for PRIME (Partners in International Medical Education)
- Registered member of the International Therapist Directory
- Hold an enchanced CRB certificate
- Trained in Critical Incident (Crisis) Intervention Response
25 years of experience of living and working overseas, across 3 continents. 8 years experience of specific clinical work, and also management of a rape and sexual abuse crisis centre, and ISVA (Independant Sexual Violence Advisor) Service.
3 years of training individuals and organisations on complex trauma and issues relating to psychiatric impatient care.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Cross cultural issues
Third Culture (TCKs, ATCKs)
Re-entry into passport country
Humanitarian worker support
Photos & videos
I work with individuals on a weekly basis for either short term or long term work.
Individuals: £50 for a 50 minute session.
(Concessions for unemployed available)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My availability in Chandlers Ford in Monday-Thursday daytimes only My availability in Basingstoke is daytimes only
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|