Cathy Harrison Higher Dip.Counselling Reg.MBACP Langport Counselling Practice
I realise that making the decision to come to counselling can be daunting. Eventually events, or living with anxiety, low mood, family or couple difficulties can lead you to consider this option. We can all have the choice to live in a more comfortable way and I can help you with this.
How do I work
After years of counselling and through my work within mental health I greatly value the opportunity for the change it can offer. My expertise underpins the work we will do together.
I work in a warm, skilled and gentle way alongside individuals or couples, to explore and understand the difficulties in your lives. I am an integrative psychotherapist fitting the therapy to your unique needs. We are led by what you bring and as a (registered) member of the BACP I work to their ethical standards.
I am available for as long as the work is needed, this can be short or long term. I do not believe in ending the work before you feel ready, this is something we will do in collaboration.
I have an interest in the interaction between mental and physical well being, I am a member of the health care group within the BACP.
Who do I help?
I work with a wide range of issues including anxiety, panic, depression, low mood, relationship and family issues.
- All forms of abuse, emotional, sexual, physical and financial.
- Attachment Issues.
- Trauma and it's affects.
- Various forms of loss.
- Work related issues.
- Relatives of those suffering mental distress or illness.
- Health issues
- I work with all ages from young adults to the elderly.
The training I have done here helps us together understand and process the feelings and complexities present in the "couple relationship".
Improving communication is key, along with looking at what each persons defences are and how this affects the couple relationship.
Understanding and expression of feelings are central to work and this maybe new territory for many.
Exploring together is the basis of the work.
Where the sessions take place.
My consulting room is at Langport Counselling Practice Great Bow Wharf, Langport. The beautifully restored building is in a tranquil setting over looking the river. There is free parking near by, with disabled access. I have some evenings appointments subject to availability.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Higher Diploma In Counselling Level 5 AQA (Integrative)
- Certificate in The Couple Relationship Tavistock Relationships
- Bridging Unit in Counselling and Psychotherapy Bridgwater College
- Certificate in Counselling Level 3 AQA ( Includes Gestalt,TA,CBT, Person Centered, Psychodynamic)
- Certificate In Counselling Level 2 AQA
- Certificate in Counselling Skills WPF/Somerset Counselling Centre
- Certificate in Counselling Skills in The Development Of Learning. RSA
- Certificate in Mental Health Awareness Rethink
- Bereavement Training ABC Course Curse
- Award in Dementia Care Level 2 BTEC
Sexual and emotional abuse, attachment, trauma and early trauma, couples and affairs, addictions of all types and Gender and sexual diversity.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am interested in the issues around emotional abandonment, I have looked into this this area more closely and written on this subject for my training.
I am interested in health issues and how they are interrelated with our mental well being.
I worked for The Somerset Victim Support Scheme, I helped develop this scheme and worked with many victim related issues, locally and nationally.
I worked in community mental health for some years.
I have worked with student mental health.
I did my clinical practice at Somerset Counselling Centre where I worked with a wide range of issues.
Photos & videos
Standard rate £39 for a 50 minute session
Couples rate £50 for a 50 minute session
I do concessions for students and those on a low income.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
There is parking near by and disabled parking around the back of the building. We also have a lift for disabled use in the building.
I have some evening and early morning sessions depending on availability. I do not work weekends.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|