Arlette Kavanagh - Systemic Family Psychotherapist -UKCP & AFT reg
Parenting can be can be tough, right!? I’m sure I am not the first person to say this and I am sure that I won’t be the last.
In today’s day and age parents and young people are facing unprecedented demands. parents are experiencing financial stress ( which may be job related) and child rearing and parenting challenges. Whilst our children and young people face many transitions from school to puberty, whilst managing the demands and dilemmas of social media.
These demands can often compete and conflict causing stress for parents and children which can result in challenging, frustrating, and painful interactions for everyone involved. I have first hand experience of these demands in my own personal life and see similar challenges faced by the families that I work with. I want to say that help is out there, you are not alone.
If your child is experiencing challenges but is reluctant/unable to come to therapy or to seek help, that's is okay, we can work together to help understand what is going on for you and your child and how best you can support and help at home.
I am a qualified and experienced systemic psychotherapist with 20 years of experience of working with children and families in different settings, including CAMHS, NHS Local Authorities and Charitable organisations . I am passionate about supporting families through challenging times. I work with individuals, couples and family groups.
"an entire family can be changed through the efforts of one person" Mary Bowen
I am particularly experienced in working with children, young people and their families who have Special Educational needs and those who have experienced traumatic life experiences.
What can you expect from me
- Time to connect, explore and understand challenges in a safe accepting non-judgmental space.
- A warm, compassionate and solution-focused approach where everyone has the space to speak and to be heard.
- Support to identify shared goals that will improve the quality of life for you and your family.
- An initial (no obligation) telephone consultation to understand your situation and how we can work together to address your needs.
- Confidential, professional approach focused on you and your family.
What challenges can we work on together?
My approach and experience can be used in a number of change related areas including, but not limited to;
- Family communication and resolution of conflict.
- Trauma / Adverse Childhood Experiences ( physical abuse, verbal abuse, sexual abuse, physical neglect, and emotional neglect)
- Mental health difficulties / diagnosis within the family
- Child issues and self harm
- Support for Foster Carers and Children and YP who are experienced in the care system.
- Childhood challenging behavior
- Working with children,YP and adults who have additional needs (SEN, cognitive difficulties)
- Parenting/ co-parenting / Carer challenges
- School related issues
Where do I work?
I work across the North East of England, I am happy to make arrangements to see you close to your home in a mutually agreeable location.
If you are not based in he North East of England please do not hesitate to call as we may be able to arrange working via SKYPE.
Please feel free to contact me to have an informal discussion about your needs and how we can work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Systemic Family Psychotherapy
- PgCert Systemic Psychotherapy
- Foundation Systemic Family Therapy
- PgD Profound and Complex Learning Difficulties
- BSc (Hons) Psychology and Criminology
- Certificate- Narrative Exposure Therapy NET (TRAUMA)
- Adult teaching cert
- CPD Complex Trauma (Children, Young People and Adults)
- CPD Working with Nightmares and dreams
- CPD Working with Sexual issues in Systemic Psychotherapy
- CPD Domestic Violence
- Parents as Partners Group Leader
- Cert Solution Focus Brief Therapy
- Therapeutic strategies for Supporting pupils with SEN
- ABA therapy-Autism
- Mindfulness and NLP
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am one of the founders of bluePANGOLIN Ltd and together we build bespoke packages for organisations who are interested in developing staff and staff relations. If interested please feel free to look at our website (WWW.bluePANGOLIN.co.uk/therapy)
My current employment role in a human rights organisation focuses on working with Children young people and families experiencing Complex PTSD, I am skilled and competent in this area. I am connected to the Complex Trauma Therapist network where you will find my profile.
I have recently spoken at the Complex Trauma Conference in York on systemic approaches to working with complex trauma. I am an experienced trainer in this area and would be happy to discuss any training requirements that your work place or organisation might be interested in, particularly in regard to developing trauma informed work places and self care for staff.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
Photos & videos
I encourage families to contact me directly so that we can discuss what it is you need and how I work. If it feels like a good fit for you then we can arrange a face to face meeting.
I offer initial assessment session in which we can decide the number of sessions, the frequency of sessions and who will be attending. It may be that the focus of the work will be a particular individual or a combination of individual and whole family.
Fees starting from £60 per session for individuals, and £85 per session for couples and families.
I offer concessionary rates for low income families, children with SEN (One Plan), LAC and foster carers.
I also offer reduced rates for clients who block book sessions after the initial contracting and assessment sessions.
I am a registered member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and follow their guidelines on confidentiality, code of ethics, and good practice. I am also registered with the Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (AFT).
I am a member of the British Psychological Society (MBPs)
I hold a current enhanced disclosure certificate and full professional insurance.
Please feel free to contact me via email, telephone or text message. A gentle reminder that I will not always be able to answer my calls due to my working context, I would encourage people to leave a brief message with your name and contact details and I will get back to you as soon as I am able.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer supervision to any professional working with traumatized adults/children where you feel affected by your work or feel you need additional support in order to meet the complex needs of this client group.View supervision profile