Arlette Kavanagh - Systemic Family Psychotherapist -UKCP & AFT reg
Relationship can be tough, right!? I’m sure I am not the first person to say this and I am sure that I won’t be the last. In today’s day and age we have huge levels of demand placed on us as individuals, as couples and as families. This can create difficulties even in the healthiest of families and can result in challenging, frustrating, and painful interactions for everyone involved.
I am a qualified and experienced systemic psychotherapist with 20 years of experience of working with children and families in different environments. Including as an assistant educational psychologist in schools with SEN, separation and divorce, family work and trauma. I am passionate about supporting families through troubling times. I work with individuals, couples and family groups.
"an entire family can be changed through the efforts of one person" Mary Bowen
There are many different ways that therapists can work, but my preference is to work systemically. This might sound complicated, systems thinking is a different way of thinking about the world. It takes into account patterns of interactions, connections and disconnection that might be apparent in your current relationships. This might be in family history, close friendships or work relationships. These relationships are important in systems thinking as they create “ideas” about how we behave and repeat patterns of interaction.
Systems thinking can help you to explore unhelpful ideas and unhelpful repeating patterns of interaction and allow you to explore more helpful possibilities in a safe non-judgmental space.
As a systemic therapist I work beyond labels, diagnosis or problems to encourage solutions, create connections to energise relationships towards sustainable positive changes. I am a fully qualified and trauma informed therapist.
What can you expect from me
- Time to connect, explore and understand your relationship in a safe accepting non-judgemental space.
- A strengths based collaborative approach working towards the identification of stories of resilience and tolerance.
- I will help you and your family to explore how you can develop healthier relationships by establishing new more helpful ideas and repeating patterns of interaction.
- A warm, compassionate and solution-focused approach where everyone has the space to speak and to be heard.
- Support to identify shared goals that will improve the quality of life for you and your family.
- An initial (no obligation) telephone consultation to understand your situation and how we can work together to address your needs.
- Confidential, professional approach focused on you and your family.
What challenges can we work on together?
My approach and experience can be used in a number of change related areas including, but not limited to;
- Family communication and resolution of conflict.
- Trauma related challenges
- Mental health difficulties within the family
- SEN, challenging behaviour
- Parenting/ co-parenting / Carer difficulties
Where do I work?
I work across the North East of England, I have venues in Sunderland, Newcastle and Durham.
Please feel free to contact me to have an informal discussion about your needs and how we can work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Systemic Family Psychotherapy
- PgCert Systemic Psychotherapy
- Foundation Systemic Family Therapy
- PgD Profound and Complex Learning
- BSc (Hons) Psychology and Criminology
- Certificate Narrative Exposure Therapy (TRAUMA)
- Adult teaching cert
- CPD Complex Trauma (Children, Young People and Adults)
- CPD Working with Nightmares and dreams
- CPD Working with Sexual issues in Systemic Psychotherapy
- CPD Domestic Violence
- Parents as Partners Group Leader
- Cert Solution Focus Brief Therapy
- level 3 Therapeutic strategies for Supporting pupils with SEN
- ABA therapy
- Mindfulness and NLP
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am one of the Directors at bluePANGOLIN Ltd and together we build bespoke packages for organisations who are interested in developing staff and staff relations. If interested please feel free to look at our website (WWW.bluePANGOLIN.co.uk/therapy)
My current employment role in a human rights organisation focuses on working with Children young people and families experiencing Complex PTSD, I am skilled and competent in this area. I am connected to the Complex Trauma Therapist network where you will find my profile.
I have recently spoken at the Complex Trauma Conference in York on systemic approaches to working with complex trauma. I am an experienced trainer in this area and would be happy to discuss any training requirements that your work place or organisation might be interested in, particularly in regard to developing trauma informed work places and self care.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
Photos & videos
I encourage families to contact me directly so that we can discuss what it is you need and how I work. If it feels like a good fit for you then we can arrange a face to face meeting.
I offer initial assessment sessions in which we can decide the number of sessions, the frequency of sessions and who will be attending. It may be that the focus of the work will be a particular individual or a combination of individual and whole family.
Fees starting from £60 per session for individuals, and £85 per session for couples and families.
I offer concessionary rates for low income families, children with SEN (One Plan), LAC and foster carers.
I also offer reduced rates for clients who block book sessions after the initial contracting and assessment sessions.
I am a registered member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and follow their guidelines on confidentiality, code of ethics, and good practice. I am also registered with the Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (AFT).
I am a member of the British Psychological Society (Grad.MBPs)
I hold a current enhanced disclosure certificate and full professional insurance.
Please feel free to contact me via email, telephone or text message. A gentle reminder that I will not always be able to answer my calls due to my working context, I would encourage people to leave a brief message with your name and contact details and I will get back to you as soon as I am able.
I am based in the center of Newcastle (Cloth Market) there is ample parking around town, which is free after 5pm. There are great frequent public transport link from all areas of the NE.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Thursday and Friday (anytime) will consider Saturdays
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|