A Janina Murphy Chartered Counselling Psychologist: QCoP MA BSc BA PGCE
Welcome to Emerald Counselling Psychology Ltd - an independent private practice based in Halifax offering therapeutic psychological counselling for personal difficulties and mental health concerns across West Yorkshire, York and Manchester.
- Sensitive psychological counselling that is collaborative and responsive to the individual, their personal circumstances and difficulties
- Individual supervision
- Short-term and long-term contracts
- Day time and evening appointments
- Face to Face, telephone and web-based counselling: Skype, Zoom
- Committed to ethical and confidential counselling psychology
- Informed in practice by the science of psychology and the philosophy of counselling psychology
Adheres to the following Codes of Practice:
• BPS (British Psychological Society)
• HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council)
• BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy)
Compliant with the following regulations and legislation:
• GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations 2018) and is registered with the ICO (Information Commissioners Office)
• Equality Act (2010) and is disability aware, endeavouring to make reasonable and appropriate adjustments to facilitate the needs of individuals
The therapy I offer is relational and evidence informed. This means that my focus is on establishing and sustaining good counselling relationships, whilst drawing on the theories of counselling and the science of psychology to guide the work. I find that a pluralistic stance, with openness to different ways of thinking about life and its problems, offers the best way of helping my clients as they explore their concerns and shape their responses.
I aim to offer the highest level of confidentiality and to respond to clients’ needs appropriately and effectively. I am aware of the diversity within our communities and aim to provide counselling psychology that is sensitive to cultural and religious diversity and to personal individualism and difference.
I respect the ethical and professional guidelines of the BPS, HCPC and BACP. It is important to me that the standards, competencies and guidance of these codes are embedded in my working practices.
I offer a quiet, private space in which concerns and problems in living may be openly explored without judgement and undue influence.
I offer supervision to peers and trainees.
Emerald Counselling Psychology Philosophy of Practice:
- Trusts in our human capacities for hope, regeneration and love,
- Encourages self-reflection to enable each client to be the author and inspiration of our own lives.
- Connects with the inner search, hopes and purposes of each client as they undertake their personal journey through counselling.
- Offers companionship, specialist knowledge and experience in order to guide, console, protect and inspire along the way.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Registered Member of the British Association Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) as a Counselling Psychologist
- Qualification in Counselling Psychology (QCoP, BPS, Doctorate level training), MA in Counselling, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGCE and BA (Hons)
- Register of Applied Psychology Supervisor
- Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Clearance (DBS)
- Professional Liability Insurance Registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office (IOC)
- Counselling since 2005
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
Fees to the public are at present £60 per session
Fees for trainees are £40 per session
Fees for supervision are £60 per session, and for trainee therapists £40
Fees for Organisations are agreed on referral
I have a special interest in bereavement and have written about the role of self-talk or inner speech as a means of helping life transitions and healing wounds following the death of someone significant to us.
I offer a form of specialist counselling for parents whose children have died.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day time and evening appointments are available (Monday to Friday) Home visits, Skype, Zoom and telephone sessions are available on request.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am on the Register of Applied Psychology Supervisors (BPS) and offer supervision to peers and trainees.View supervision profile