Kim Harries BA (Hons) MBACP Accred
Hello there! You've taken the first step and I'm here to help. As a therapist, my role is to use my skills to enable you to become self-aware, to see your potential and to take steps to reach it. I am the facilitator and you are in the driving seat! I can support you whether you are in crisis and your world is falling down around you or you just would like to understand yourself better.
Therapy doesn’t have to take years; I am trained to enable you to get to the seat of your problems. You will gain a better understanding of who you are and why you may be feeling stuck - often we set up patterns where the players may be different but the issues are the same! We will look at your current situation and the tools you have to work through your issues, together with how you developed your core beliefs about yourself, your relationships and the world [based on childhood perceptions]. Using this insight, I will help you understand yourself better so that you can make choices so that you create a happy and fulfilling future.
It is not what we have.. but how we use what we have! As adults, we are responsible for our destiny and the consequences of our actions; we are not victims but survivors.
Being employed within the field of mental health and disabilities, I am also committed to providing support to people with disabilities and to carers.
I am a qualified counsellor and psychotherapist with over 20 years experience providing counselling and coaching for life. I also work in Adult Social Care, specialising in mental health and disability, [since 1985].
Feedback from my clients
When I was at a low ebb, the opportunity to feel listened to and have some positive actions to take forward was quite literally an absolute life saver. Kim is positive, sensitive, experienced and so easy to talk to I cannot recommend her highly enough. BK
Kim's' profound knowledge underpinned by warmth and humanity, shone a bright leading light through my grief journey. AM
When I first met Kim, I felt trapped by my feelings and could see no light at the end of my personal tunnel. After working through my issues, Kim helped me understand that my destiny was in my own hands. She has helped me understand my past and to look forward to a bright future. She is an open minded, sensitive, caring Counsellor. CM
How I work
I am here to help you, am eclectic in my approach and flexible to meet the needs of each client. I work within a range of psychotherapeutic, humanistic and cognitive models and the tools I use may include early recollections, EFT, art and relaxation - whatever helps you understand and express yourself best!
Supervision and personal therapy; ongoing.
Insurance; up to date
Code of ethics; BACP ASIIP AAMET
Training, qualifications & experience
BA [Hons.], maj Psych.
Cert. / Dip Adl. Couns.
CSCT/AEB Cert. Couns. Comb.
PHTA Dip Psychotherapy
EFT Level 2
BACP Certificate of Proficiency
Areas of expertise
- Mild/moderate mental health issues - insight and coping strategies
- Depression, [we look at personal history, you tell me your experience of depression, emotions that are being ‘de pressed’, energy that is depleted, strengths, life style and ways to cope]
- Relationships; Individuals; trust issues, repeating patterns, affairs, betrayals. Couples - I see couples initially to look at presenting issues and goals for therapy. I then quite often ask to see individuals separately to look at core beliefs, past unresolved issues, intimacy issues, expressing emotions etc.,- issues that may need exploring in more depth before therapy as a couple resumes
- Anxiety, Panic, Agoraphobia. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Personal history, origins of the stress, reasons for ‘the freeze’, coping strategies, anxiety management techniques
- Sexual abuse, self-abuse and its survival. I will listen to you story and help you find a way through
- Parenting philosophy and tips; The STEP Programme, Mistaken Goals of Childhood misbehaviour, effect of parenting style on children
- Illness, whether it is you or someone close to you; I can help you steer a course through the complexities of emotions. We talk about loss on many level, body image and depersonalisation, coping strategies, hierarchy of needs, self expression, bereavement, memory boxes, goals, self love, caring for you the carer.
- Bereavement; we talk about loss and how major loss triggers previous loss, the process of grief. Over time, I support you to emerge into the person you want to be and the life you feel able to live
- The Food Mood connection – we look at your personal relationship with food/drink and how we use food to fix our emotional pain
- Disability; together you tell me your journey and we discover your core beliefs, we look at living with disability and focusing on ability
- Epilepsy awareness and maximising independence
- Support for carers; the complexity of emotions, grief, guilt, loss, insight and investment in the future
- Autistic Spectrum; Epilepsy; insight, coaching for life, wellness plan
- Self-development; strengths and skills, assertion, self-awareness, esteem and confidence building
- Stress management and relaxation; origins of individual stress and education to feel grounded again
- Supervisor to counsellors
- EFT and Hypnosis; changing core beliefs; phobias, habits, self-development etc.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Self development and Insight
I also offer ten sessions to enable you to discover your 'Life Style' -
This is a largely an academic exercise where we uncover our blueprint of all our thoughts, feelings and hypotheses about life, about men and women, intimacy, how emotions are to be dealt with, how we see our place in the world, our view of success, etc etc and is based on childhood perceptions of childhood experiences. Perceptions that often still operate in adulthood.
Our Life Style, is the suitcase that we pack for life's journey and contains all our experiences, good and bad, all our relationships and how we perceive these experiences. Together we unpack your suitcase and shed those which (our beliefs) are no longer useful to us;
The infant is born into a play in process and being weak, is reliant on others and feels inferior. So s/he strives towards the self chosen goal of significance, protecting her/himself from these feelings of inferiority, creating her unique system of meeting difficulties, the Lifestyle. The more encouragement the child receives, the more confident and significant the adult will feel.
Photos & videos
Face to Face sessions
Counselling (60 mins) £50
Couples (60 mins) £75, (90 mins) £100
Life Coaching initial session (60 mins) £50
Telephone or Skype sessions
Individual Counselling (30/60) minute session £25.00/£45.00
Couples (60 mins) £70 (90) Mins £95
Coaching (60 mins) £50
- Living with teens – The growing pain of parenting!
- The task of love, intimacy and the 15 goals of relationships
- Counter transference: dare to dream!
Client group; one to one, couples, young people, parent and child,
MBACP, ASIIP, AAMET
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||If you can't email, please feel free to text and we can arrange a time for an initial chat|
Daytime; Thursdays, Fridays 9.30am - 6pm. Evenings: Mon-Thurs 6-9pm. Remotely as above; Telephone Skype and by Email. Please note; these times can be flexible.
Types of client