Penelope Bould MBACP Regd. Couples, Adults, Psychosexual, Coaching, Families
Discovering the right supportive resourceful and knowledgeable trained supervisor is an important decision for any practitioner. I am accepted as a supervisor by the University of Warwick.
If you have an emergency I am willing to be contacted 24 7, 365 days of the year.
I am a trained medico-legal expert witness and I have provided evidence for criminal and family court cases.
A mature, warm and friendly person, in 2013-2014 I trained with the British Psychological Society in enhancing supervision skills in one to supervision, the supervision of supervision and group supervision.
A former school safeguarding governor, I have worked clinically in the NHS, in a school, a training centre for young people, a centre for abuse survivors and with an older people's charity.
I first helped families as a volunteer support worker in the 1980's and have been in many welfare roles. I practiced in hypnotherapy from 1997 and graduated in counselling in 2002. I have been in practice from clinical placements in 2006 and post qualifying as a counsellor to BACP standards I have been a full time practitioner in private practice since 2008.
Finding mature supportive professional supervision with warmth, empathy, insight, wisdom, and where appropriate a sense of humour, from a trained supervisor who is an experienced counsellor / psychotherapist who you can trust with your well-being, to provide sound supervision and practical signposting, including a trained and experienced psychosexual therapist, is a key decision for you.
More unusually I am also a psychosexual therapist with specialist training in and experience of working with alleged and proven guilty sex offenders.
Why not come and meet me for a chat or talk on Skype, to see if you feel a rapport between us, to aid you on your journey as a professional?
An experienced university lecturer, trainer and workshop tutor I am a trained medico-legal expert witness, a former law court reporter and experienced advocate so I am particularly legally aware and I have plenty of experience of making referrals for clients, such as to NHS mental health services and social services, including negotiating to get what clients need and when they need it from employers.
I offer supervision for counsellors, psychotherapists, therapists, psychologists, lifecoaches, students in training and others in the health and helping professions, designated safeguarding leaders and officers (DSLs and DSOs), teachers, tutors and lecturers.
I also offer support for those working with the public such as police officers, fire-fighters and those in the legal professions who seek psychological and ethical support and professional development in how they handle interactions and feel after challenging experiences. This can also include handling relationships with colleagues who might be difficult, stressed, distressed, bullying and or traumatised.
Although I am a clinical supervisor I am also a mediator and lifecoach but the vast majority of my work is psychotherapy / counselling and has been for some years with clients who include female and male adults, children, young people, couples and families presenting with a very wide range of issues including highly complex and serious situations.
I have trained GPs in subjects such as depression and empowering disabled people. I am an experienced guest lecturer and tutor, and I have run seminars, or workshops and or lectured at the University of Oxford Department of Psychiatry, Warwick and Coventry universities and I was a Member of the University of Warwick Medical School Advisory Board for a three year term of office. I designed and ran courses in assertiveness and negotiating and industrial relations skills at what is now Manchester Metropolitan University.
I am more than eligible for full BACP Accreditation and I am currently working on my application.
With NHS and various agency experience behind me I have given hypnotherapy since 1997 and used formal counselling skills since 2001 and worked at higher level since 2006 in my own private practice full time since 2009. I first read psychology at university last century.
I have worked with some particularly challenging situations. For example, pre-therapy techniques are something with which I am well familiar, in situations for example when a client arrives feeling unable to speak due to selective mutism. Providing the right conditions for them to feel able to speak can be a wonderful thing.
I first studied psychology at university from the age of 18 and after working in several voluntary welfare and negotiation roles using counselling skills over many years, and listening to people’s stories as a journalist and broadcaster for over twenty years, I studied Cognitive Psychology and Eriksonian hypnotherapy in 1997.
From 2007 I was a member of the Warwickshire post-critical incident / disasters team trained to facilitate people post trauma to NICE guidelines. I received CPD in working with trauma until c.2013 when the group was disbanded following government cuts. This included all day workshops including working with groups of adult and young actors playing survivors, until government funding cuts closed the group.
I have also undertaken CPD of other kinds every year since 2001.
- Approach: I can provide support for specific modalities as well as working integratively.
The Approaches I Employ in My Practice Include:-
* CBT especially around Anxiety, Anger and Stress Management
* Person-Centred Rogerian
* Aspects of Neuro-Psychology
* Family Therapy & Systemic Practice
* NLP – Neuro Linguistic Programming & Lifecoaching
* Psychosexual Therapy (partly with a psychodynamic approach but I am not primarily a psychodynamic practitioner - I use elements of it
* Couples Therapy
* I also use elements of TA (Transactional Analysis) in my work for appropriate clients.
- Counselling & Psychotherapy Training:
I graduated in The Certificate in the Theory & Practice of Counselling in 2002. Since then in addition to my Diploma I have undertaken an unusually wide range of CPD including insights and learning techniques to work with clients living with issues such as addiction, eating disorders, diversity and safeguarding. (Please see the end of this page for a full list of my qualifications and training.)
- Psychology: I first read psychology at university aged 18, studied cognitive psychology for a year in the late nineties and achieved excellent marks (90% exam 92% assignment marks) in my Certificate in Health Psychology: Understanding Mental Ill-health in 2004 at Coventry University, which included issues around definitions and the process of sectioning (holding /hospitalising) under the Mental Health Act.
- I have been privileged to listen to people’s stories for many years and for over twenty years worked primarily as a press, radio or TV journalist and public relations consultant before returning to studies in psychology and then retraining as a psychotherapist / counsellor and psychosexual therapist.
- Welfare roles: welfare and management roles at different times in my life e.g.
* Starting at the age of 17 as Derby College Vice President of the union
* Social science faculty rep at the University of Sheffield for two years:
* Vice Chair of the National Union of Journalists Equality Council
* Member of the NUJ Broadcast and also The Freelance Industrial Councils
* Course rep for graduate certificate in counselling in Coventry
- Team Output Management experience has included working as an editor and producer in BBC radio, as Assistant Bureau Chief for Central Britain at an agency on contract with a national TV news station; as editor and public relations officer of the National Centre for Information and Advice on Educational Disadvantage and also line manager experience as founder and managing director of my news, public relations, marketing and audio production and media training agency for nine years.
I have undertaken management training with Chrysalis Change Management Consultancy and Warwickshire County Council in project management, school governorship and project management. I have managed a team of press and external relations officers, newsrooms, a team for a range of publications and exhibitions and I was proprietor then managing director of a news, public relations, marketing and media training agency which I set up and ran for 9 years.
I was a member of the University of Warwick Medical School Advisory Board (for a three year term) and an executive board member and campaign chair of a charity employing 31 paid staff and many volunteers in several offices (for four and a half years).
- Safeguarding Trained
* Safeguarding school governor for over three years
* I have been consulted by social workers and safeguarding boards about risks posed by or to clients
* Experience of handling many safeguarding issues involving people of all ages and liaising with psychiatrists, GPs and other doctors, psychologists, social workers and occupational therapists and the police here and abroad.
* By Warwickshire County Council in safeguarding for children, vulnerable adults and in e-safety
* By Warwickshire Association of Youth Clubs in safeguarding children and young people as well as attending whole days with other organisations (e.g. £400 conference in 2018 purely on safeguarding and including full range of threats including grooming for terrorism)
* By Warwickshire Police in managing interactions with difficult and dangerous people
- Agency Clinical Experience :-
* Women’s Aid (as a support worker and volunteer counsellor) working with women and children escaping from abusive relationships (c. 3 years)
As a psychotherapist / counsellor:
* NHS Rehabilitation Hospital with patients and their families
* School counselling children in Coventry
* Young people's training centre in Coventry
* Charity for survivors of sexual abuse which particularly included working with clients with personality disorders especially Dissociative Identity Disorder
* Age Concern (now known as Age UK)
* Department for Work & Pensions scheme: working with people with addiction, mental health and physical disability challenges to help them to stay in work or commit to training and finding new work
- Trained Tutor in Negotiation and Assertiveness Skills
I ran courses for female and male trade unionists and negotiators in the business school of what is now Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Experienced Mediator
As well as working professionally as a mediator for clients such as employers and professional workers, I have been in roles mediating between varying organisations, groups and companies and individuals and have chaired a variety of meetings involving high ranking officials. So if you have challenging situations with other agencies I have the kind of experience which means I am not fazed by severe situations and complexity.
I am sometimes able to offer reductions for students training in counselling and psychotherapy.
I worked with the same main supervisor from 2006 to 2016 when he went into semi-retirement and another since 1997 which is ongoing. I have three supervisors currently in addition to occasionally taking consultations from specialists. I have been in continual practice from 2006.
Qualifications & Training Includes:-
* Enhancing Clinical Supervision (British Psychological Society Learning Centre 2013-2014)
* Diploma in the Theory & Practice of Counselling (Distinction in Advanced Counselling Skills & Clinical Placements marks 95% to 100% included an NHS Hospital, a centre for abuse survivors, a training centre for young people, school & Age Concern; Merit marks in all other assignments including highest mark of the year in the research project and presentation) (Warks. Coll.);
* Graduate Certificate in the Theory & Practice of Counselling (Coventry University, 2002);
* Certificate in Health Psychology (Coventry University 2004, exam 90% mark, assignment 92%);
* Psychosexual Studies: Understanding the Sexual relationship (Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships);
* Certificate in Lifecoaching with NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) (NCFE);
* Cert. Intermediate level Couns. (NOCN);
* Cert. Working with Survivors of Sexual Abuse (included personality disorders) (OCN);
* Cert. Bereavement Care (Cruse).
* Psychology, Sociology & Politics with Statistics (University of Sheffield /Open University 1997 240 points towards BA)
Also trained for example in:-
Stress Management (Centre for Stress Management - CBT approach):
Psychology & Neuro-Science of Family & couple Relationships (Dr Margot Sunderland);
Neuro-Psychology - Psychological Support & Counselling Working with Disabled People & Their Families (NHS);
Addiction – 12 Step Programmes (Special & Different);
Drug Awareness to DANOS Standards (WDAAT);
Eating Disorders (NHS);
Family Therapy & Systemic Practice (NHS);
Post Critical Incident Psychological Welfare (Centre for Trauma Resilience & Growth / NHS Notts. / University of Nottingham / Warwickshire County Council Emergency Planning – c.1 to 3 courses per year since 2007-2012);
Communication During & Post a Disaster (Home Office Emergency Planning College);
Managing a Disaster (Warwickshire County Council / National Fire & Rescue College);
Equality & Diversity (various e.g., University of Warwick /Colin Lago; WCC / IDEA ; Council of Disabled People Cov. & Warks.; National Centre for Advice & Information on Educational Disadvantage);
Chairing Meetings (WCC);
Managing Difficult People (Warwickshire Police);
Safeguarding Children & Adults (various WCC courses) e-safety (WCC);
Project Management (WCC);
School Governance (WCC);
Successful Management (Chrysalis Change Management Consultancy).
Other counselling roles have included Women’s Aid & in university and college union welfare roles.
Past diversity roles have also included:
Editor and Public Relations Officer of the National Centre for Information & Advice on Educational Disadvantage;
Vice Chair of the Equality Council of the National Union of Journalists(NUJ);
Member of the UK Disabled People’s Parliament.
Trained at Manchester Polytechnic in negotiation skills and by the NUJ in assertiveness skills.
Media trained in journalism, broadcast editing, production and presentation: Radio Hallam, The London College of Printing (now called London College of Communication), BBC and the National Council for the Training of Journalists.
Why not come and meet me for a chat or talk, on Skype or Facetime, to see if you and I feel a rapport between us to aid you on your journey as a professional?
Telephone 01926 40 83 50 or mobile 07432 849 739 also available via Skype and Facetime.
Penelope Anne Rose Bould: Empowering Directions Towards Positive Change at Counselling Universe.