Tony Matthews MNCS (Accred). Adults, Children & Young People, Couples, Military
“Because You are the One that Matters”
Sometimes, it can be hard to know how to cope with everything and reaching out for help can take a great deal of courage.
Whether one tangible issue has prompted you to pursue therapy or you are grappling with a series of existential questions – purpose, identity, faith, doubt –I will consistently and reliably join you to navigate uncharted territory as your healing begins.
I practice understanding, compassion, and warmth and aim to provide thoughtful guidance and insight, while empowering you to take meaningful steps towards greater self-worth, present-mindedness, healthier and deeper relationships, resiliency to navigate change, and conscious living so you can grow and flourish during and beyond therapy.
Do you feel overwhelmed, stressed, anxious, depressed, hopeless, lonely, confused, scared or even frustrated? Sometimes we feel like we’re stuck or are moving backwards when we want to go forwards.
I am a RE Veteran medically discharged from service and understand the difficulties in sharing thoughts and feelings. We can look at how you manage and cope with certain feelings, how you can learn to share and express them without feeling vulnerable. I offer a space for you to express what you need to in the way you need to.
One thing people worry about the most is, ‘Will this go on any permanent record if I come for therapy around depression, anxiety or other issues?’, the answer is No. Seeing a private therapist for whatever you feel you need to see one is not recorded in any medical file or the like where you worry it may impact on yours or your child’s life choices.
I work with both adults and children and have experience of working with those on the autistic spectrum.
If you are fed up with the way that you feel, see things and want something different for yourself? You don't have to face life's difficulties alone, get in touch, have a chat to see what we do and or how we can help you.
"You Do Not Have To Journey Alone"
Private counselling / therapy is and can be affordable.
At Toad Counselling we can look to cater to you and your personal financial situation so it does not have to be out of reach financially.
Please come and talk to us, especially if you feel you cannot afford private therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
Experience, Training & Qualifications
- Volunteer Counsellor (2015 - 2019)
- Providing counselling in North Devon
Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Counsellor & support worker (2017)
- The Historical Trauma Programme - Specialist help for survivors of childhood abuse and neglect
Open University UK
BA/BSc (hons) Open Degree - Psychology, Counselling psychology, Counselling (2013-2020)
- K314 - Approaches to Mental Health
- DD310 - Counselling and Forensic Psychology: Investigating Crime and Therapy
- E219 - Psychology of Childhood and Youth
- K260 - Death and Dying
- D240 - Counselling, exploring fear & sadness
Counselling Hub (cpcab accredited)
- Certificate of Participation
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling - Level 5 (PC-L5)
Dartmoor Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- CIC and Safe Space for Counselling (NCS Accredited)
- Specialist Training - Professional Diploma Children and Young People
High Speed Training - highspeedtraining.co.uk
- Advanced Safeguarding Children (Level 2) - Renewal 01/11/2022
- Designated Safeguarding Officer (Level 3) - Renewal 26/11/2022
- Advanced Safeguarding Adults (Level 2)
- Equality and Diversity in Health and Social Care
Petroc College (cpcab accredited)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - Level 4 (TC-L4)
- Certificate in Counselling Studies - Level 3 (CST-L3)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills - Level 2 (CSK-L2)
- Award in Introduction to Counselling Skills - Level 2 (ICSK-L2
The Open University
- OpenLearn - The Autistic Spectrum: From Theory to Practice - Level 2
- Couples Counselling Toolkit
- Counselling Couples with Sexual Difficulties
- Domestic Violence & Abuse Awareness
- Using Emotional Focused Therapy
- Principles in Couple Work
- Working with Substance Misuse in Relationships
- Working with Loss, Grief & Bereavement
- Working with Gender & Sexual Diversity
- Working with Suicide Risk
- Working with Mental Issues
- Introducing Mindfulness to Couple Work
- Attachment Issues within an Intimate Relationship
- Introduction to Systemic Therapy
- Working with Infidelity
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy Toolkit
- Play Therapy Course
- Working with Narcissism Course
- Life Coaching Diploma Course
- Transactional Analysis Course
- Mindfulness Diploma Course
- Couples and Family Therapy Diploma Course
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Awareness Diploma Course
- Gestalt Therapy Diploma Course
- Addiction Therapy Diploma Course
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
One area I work with a lot is with clients in and around Anxiety and Depression which are also directly connected to PTSD, CPTSD, Trauma and or Historical Trauma.
With last nights announcement (04/01/2021) of the recent Covid-19/Coronavirus updates, we will still be offering face to face, online and telephone sessions.
We are still strictly adhering to the guidance/guidelines set out by the government in order to continue face to face working in the safest way possible.
This includes sterilising all furniture, doors/handles, stair banisters and any tools used during sessions. Windows will be open slightly to allow air circulation.
There is sealed water and tissues with hospital grade hand sanitiser available in the room. Face coverings are to be worn during sessions unless exempt
60 minute 1:1 Session £40
120 minute 1:1 session £70
Children and Young People
30 minute 1:1 session £15 (7 – 12 years old)
60 minute 1:1 session £27 (13 - 14 years old)
60 minute 1:1 Session £40 (15 - 17 years old)
Parent / Guardian of children under the age of 15 years old are required to stay on the premises while their child is in their session.
60 minute session £55
Online Video & Telephone Counselling
The above fees are required to be payed within an hour before any online or telephone appointment. Unfortunately, if the fee is not received within the hour leading up to the appointment, the session will not go ahead, and an invoice will be emailed to the client as an unattended appointment.
Sessions can be arranged as home visits if clients are unable to access our 1st floor therapy room within 20 miles of Bideford. Travel charge of £25 to be added to main session fee.
Military/Veterans & Emergency Services
All Military/Veterans & Emergency services personnel are discounted 33% £27 or above of the 1:1 session fees, including couples counselling via proof of ID or service discount cards please visit my website for more details.
Concessions are available, if you feel you cannot afford therapy, please get in touch, we do our best to cater our therapy to your financial situation.
Concessions offered for
North Devon Military Veterans Mental Health & Peer Support
Toad Counselling is near the Quay allowing easy bus/taxi use, car parking is close and free after 18:00. Refreshments (wets/brew kit) will be available, any donations welcomed.
In conjunction to the face to face group, there is a dedicated Facebook Page and a private Facebook Group setup for the members of the peer support group to join to continue their support of one another until they next meet. If you are interested in joining the veteran’s group.
Contact details can be found on our website www.toadcounselling.co.uk or you can Email us at email@example.com
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Trauma and PTSD