Sophia Armstrong MA, MBACP
Struggling to make sense of things or finding it difficult to cope?
Counselling can help you come to terms with things, and make real changes in your life. You may find it useful to come and talk if you are dealing with difficult emotional issues, relationship difficulties, or specific psychological or mental health problems. I provide a warm, supportive environment which is non-judgmental, safe and confidential.
My approach is to work together with you to explore your issues and find some kind of resolution. This may involve building confidence or motivation, or feeling more fulfilled or happy in life. For others, it could mean trying to come to terms with a difficult situation. Counselling can also assist with communication or focus in an aspect of your life.
I am an integrative psychotherapist which means I combine different approaches in therapy so that it can be tailored to your particular needs. I feel therapy provides a supportive space where you can feel listened to and explore what is going on without judgment. The relationship between counsellor and client can help to build on those internal resources which I believe everyone has. In times of difficulty, it can help to talk to someone that you can trust to assist in finding those strengths within yourself in order to develop or change.
I offer a confidential service for individual face to face counselling for anyone aged 16+
I also offer skype counselling for those further away but would suggest a face to face meeting initially if possible.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am fully qualified and a MBACP registered member of BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy). I am bound by their ethical code of conduct.
My qualifications are:
- MA Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy - University of Roehampton
- Transactional Analysis 101 - Peter Symonds Adult Education, Winchester
- Level 3 certificate - Counselling skills - Peter Symonds Adult Education, Winchester
- Level 2 - Introduction to counselling skills - Peter Symonds Adult Education, Winchester
I also regularly attend day and weekend training courses in specialist therapy subjects for my continued professional development.
I have worked in various charities as a counsellor. As well as working as a counsellor in general counselling services, I have also worked with specific groups including at Age Concern Hampshire providing counselling for those with Alzheimers or Dementia and also for people caring for individuals with these conditions. I have worked at Yellow Door in Southampton which provides therapy services for those who have suffered from sexual abuse.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Emotional abuse
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
I charge £50 for a 60 minute session during the day and £55.00 for an evening appt.
If you decide that you would like to see me, then we will arrange a short telephone consultation which is free. The next step is an initial session which would be charged at my standard rate. This first session will give you an idea of how I work and enable you to explore what it is that you might want from counselling and to work out if I am the right service for you.
Sessions usually take place on a weekly basis. I work on an open-ended basis and offer short-term (limited number of sessions) and long-term work (which can be reviewed as the work progresses) according to your needs.
Step by step guide to starting counselling with me:
- Contact me either by email or telephone.
- We will arrange a time to have a short telephone consultation to discuss what you are looking for and decide together whether I sound like the right type of therapist for you
- If you decide to come to see me, we will arrange a first session. Before you come to see me, I will send you more information about my practice, information about how I store personal data and a map.
- This session will give you an opportunity to get to know how I work and I will be able to find out more about why you have decided to come to counselling at this time. This session will cost 50.00 payable by cash, cheque or BACS by the end of the session.
- At the end of this first session, if you decide to continue with the counselling, I will send you a working agreement. Sessions will take place weekly on the same day and time as your initial session.
- I have a cancellation policy if you are unable to attend a session and this will be explained when I meet you.
Please ask if you have any further questions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and some limited evening appointments are available. Please contact me for further details
Types of client