Rhoda Freeburn - Child and Adolescent Art Psychotherapist (HCPC Registered)
I am an Art Psychotherapist with 10 years’ experience working in various community, youth, private practice and especially schools settings. My specialist knowledge of how life’s difficulties can impact a child or young person in the context of their specific age and stage will help your child feel safe and understood. The goal is to find ways of working through the difficulties they face; building upon their resilience, communication, self – esteem and confidence.
About Art Psychotherapy
In Art Psychotherapy (also known as Art Therapy), individuals use art materials and creative processes to express thoughts, feelings and ideas that can be tricky to put into words. It can sometimes be a less intimidating way of working for children and young people compared with traditional talk therapies/counselling. Your child/teenager does not need to have any special ability in art. I am experienced in using a wide array of non-threatening creative processes with children and young people in order to help them express more clearly the thoughts and feelings they are experiencing.
Over the years I’ve had extensive experience working with a variety of issues including: bereavement, bereavement by suicide, family difficulties/separations, trauma, abuse (physical, sexual, witnessing domestic violence), anxiety, anger, thoughts of self – harm or suicide, low self – esteem, autism, depression.
What Happens Next?
An initial meeting together will be an opportunity to meet me with your child/young person. We can discuss goals for the therapy and it will be a chance to ask any questions or raise concerns. We can chat about whether a short or ongoing arrangement is most suited to your child’s needs and unique situation. It is usually advisable to commit to a 6 week period with intent to review progress on the 6th session, though this is not binding.
If you have any questions, or would like to arrange a meeting I’d be delighted to chat with you, and my phone number is: 07702667120.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Jan 2019 - Present: Art Therapist, Jigsaw Community Counselling Centre
- Sept 2015 - Jan 2019: Art Therapist, Familyworks Ni Schools Counselling
- Jan 2011 - Sept 2015: Art Therapist, Contact NI Counselling
- June 2010: MA Art Therapy
- June 2016: PQ Diploma level 5: Working Therapeutically with Children and Young people
- 2017: Understanding Anxiety, Familyworks NI
- 2015: Understanding Trauma, Somatic Experiencing Ireland
- 2014: Art Therapy in Education, British Association of Art Therapists
- 2014: Lifeline Telephone Crisis Support Training
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
£40 per session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer sessions during the day and some evenings. I can also offer sessions on Saturday mornings.
Types of client