Karen Parkin BSc (Hons), Dip Counselling, MBACP (Accredited)
I am an experienced and qualified counsellor who has a friendly and approachable manner. I have been working as a counsellor since 1998 and have been employed as such with various organisations in the paid and voluntary sector. I offer both short and longer term counselling and will work with you in an open and non-judgemental way focusing upon areas of your life that are causing you difficulty.
My approach is client-centred, although through continued training, I use an integration of other knowledge, theories and skills to offer a greater choice to the counselling work.
How can Counselling Help? Many people find that talking to someone who is qualified, trained to listen in a certain way, and who is outside their own circle can be really beneficial. Counselling is a space for you to look at areas of difficulty and gain a greater insight on self or a different perspective on life/problems. This insight will help you make any steps toward changes in life you want to make. We will agree on what we are aiming for and what you are hoping to achieve through counselling. You maintain control of what you talk about and you will be supported in tackling any uncomfortable feelings and emotions.
Is it confidential? Yes it is confidential. However there are some exceptions that apply and these regard to safeguarding yourself and others from harm where these would have to be disclosed to another professional. This isn't unusual for counselling agreements though and I will explain this on our first meeting.
Will anyone else know I have counselling? This is entirely up to you whether you tell anyone or not. Good practice is to have supervision for counselling work however anything that identifies you will be omitted so you can't be identified.
Where?- I work in Todenham, near Moreton in the Marsh from a summer house in a lovely garden setting. There is ample free parking.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I have been a member of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy for over 20 years and have held accredited status since 2005.
- I am registered with UKRCP.
- My degree was in Psychology (BSc Hons 1997)
- Diploma from the University of Warwick was in Person Centred Rogerian Counselling (1999).
- Professional development is very important and as such I have continued to gain knowledge through workshops, seminars and courses to cover areas such as child abuse, self-harm, safeguarding, CBT, grief/loss and more. By integrating this into my counselling work it adds greater depth offered for clients individual needs.
- City and Guilds Level 4 (stages 1 and 2) Further Education Teaching
- I have tutored in FE and have trained counsellors at both introduction and certificate level.
- Experienced in wide range of ages as 10+ years as a college counsellor (students 16+ to 65), 3 years as bereavement counsellor, 4 years as a school counsellor.
- I maintain a small private practice and offer short and longer term counselling.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
The cost for an hour session is £35. For students, or for those in financial difficulty, I have limited places of reduced fee sessions. Please enquire if this applies.
I am aware that it can be scary and anxiety provoking making that first contact and to talk about things that are personal to you. I am mindful of this and will try to make the experience as comfortable as possible.
If you would just like a chat through, with no obligations, any questions you may have then please get in touch.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening sessions available
Types of client