32 New Road
I love people – their diversity, quirks, their stories, their triumphs and failures. I will never get tired of humans and what makes each one of us so unique.
I didn't set out to be a counsellor; I worked for nearly 20 years in the travel industry and ended up in a stressful management role that eventually affected my health. After taking a bit of time off I decided on a career change and initially trained and worked as a reflexologist. This led to an increasing interest in what shapes us to be who we are and how we manage our lives daily.
Since qualifying in 2008 I have not looked back and know I am truly in the profession I was meant to be in. I feel privileged when people share their lives with me and honoured that they trust me and the therapeutic relationship we build.
I use an integrative counselling approach, which has a basis in humanistic/person centred practice. This means that I might use a variety of methods, theories and techniques such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution Focussed Brief Therapy, Motivational Interviewing and Transactional Analysis. This integrative framework and my experiential training enable me to work in a way appropriate to your needs and covering a wide range of issues.
Counselling can help resolve difficulties by developing awareness and understanding, opening up new creative possibilities and making change possible.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a particular interest in substance dependency and eating disorders and I was employed in the field of addiction for many years. I am experienced in helping clients with a wide range of difficulties. People seek therapy for a variety of reasons:
- Support for eating disorders - binge eating, failed dieting, food cravings, bulimia and anorexia.
- Alcohol and drug misuse and addiction.
- Trying to manage a relationship difficulty with a partner, parent or child.
- Experiencing anxiety or panic attacks.
- Self-esteem issues or a lack of confidence.
- Feeling stressed.
- Suffering from depression.
- Trauma and dissociative identity disorder.
I am a British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) accredited counsellor and I am committed to providing counselling in a safe, confidential and non-judgemental environment. As a registered member of the BACP I am bound by their code of ethics and practice.
Qualifications and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses:
- Brain and Behaviour: Regulating Body Weight (2018)
- Foundation Training in Working with Sex Offenders (2017)
- Working with Dissociative Disorders in Clinical Practice (2017)
- Child Sexual Abuse: Hope for Healing (CPD 2016)
- CBT Boot Camp 2.0 (CPD 2016)
- Working with Relational Trauma: Dealing with Disorganised Attachment (CPD 2016)
- Trauma Dissociation and Recovery (CPD 2015)
- CBT for OCD (CPD 2015)
- Beginning, developing and strengthening the way we work online (CPD 2015)
- Trauma and the Body: Somatisation and Dissociation (CPD 2015)
- Counselling confidentiality, data protection and access to records (CPD 2014)
- Introduction to Therapeutic Supervision (CPD 2013)
- CBT Coaching – How to Stick to a Diet (CPD 2013)
- Disrupted Attachment, Destructive Behaviours (CPD 2012)
- Working with Complexity (CPD 2011)
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy – Depression and Beyond (CPD 2011)
- The Impact of Working with Trauma and Abuse (CPD 2011)
- Royal College of General Practitioners Management of Alcohol Problems in Primary Care (2010)
- Nutritional Interventions for Eating Disorders (CPD 2009)
- Working with Anger (CPD 2009)
- South Gloucestershire Safeguarding Children Board Identifying and Responding to Families Experiencing Domestic Abuse (2009)
- Practitioner Skills for the Management of Obesity (CPD 2009)
- Advanced Diploma in Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorders (2009)
- Level 5 Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2008)
- Royal College of General Practitioners Management of Drug Misuse Part 1 (2007)
- South Gloucestershire Safeguarding Children Board Child Protection Level 1 (2007)
- Advanced Certificate in Counselling Skills (2006)
- Intermediate Certificate in Counselling Skills (2005)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Eating disorders
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Sessions are 50 minutes long and the fee is £40.00.
Away from my practice I enjoy walking, particularly near the sea and travelling the world. I am also lucky enough to have my own bolt hole in rural France.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My working hours are Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and I currently have limited availability on each of these days
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|