Dr Christopher Wilson
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
I am a Principal Clinical Psychologist specialising in depression, anxiety, relationships, and to the adjustment to dementia, working privately and within the NHS. I am based in London and Hull, and offer a range of psychotherapies with individuals and groups.
How I work/Specialism
I assist individuals to reduce distress and gain a sense of manageability over adveristy by increasing resilience and internal security. As a clinical psychologist I can offer a range of therapies including Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT), Psychodynamic therapy, Cognitive ve Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and therapy enabling the adjustment to lifelong conditions.
I offer a safe and supportive space in which to understand and work with difficulties, and can work flexibly according to suit each individual's unique needs.
Using proven psychological principles and techniques I assist people with dementia, and their families and carers, to remain connected with their sense of self, manage difficult presentations and to maximise their potential.
What to expect from your first appointment
You would be offered a safe space in which we would work together to understand your difficulties. Usually one session is enough for us to think about a plan for a potential way forward, though sometimes this can take longer based on your needs.
Clinical Supervision and Consultation
I offer Clinical Supervision for psychologists and Consultation for those hoping to build further clinical competencies.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology - Hull York Medical School Postgraduate Institute
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapist (DIT) - Anna Freud Centre/Tavistock Clinic
- Over 10 years' experience of offering psychological support for people with complex and wide ranging difficulties, including common emotional difficulties, and neuropsychological difficulties including dementia
- Experienced clinical supervisor
- Published academic writer
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£85.00 per session
- Assessment sessions are payable at £85 for 50 minute session, and £100 for couples.
- Standard rates start from £85 per 50 minute session
- A sliding scale is negotiable for people with lower income
- Supervision and Consultation is payable at the same rate.
When I work
• Wilson and Healey (2012). Adapting group Cognitive Stimulation Therapy: building on strength. Journal of Dementia Care 20(1) pp.24-26
• Wilson, Haddesley & Johal (2013). Cognitive Stimulation Therapy and Measuring quality of life, FPOP.
• Pearson & Wilson (2013). Secondary Benefits of Cognitive Stimulation Therapy: Its role in the adjustment to a diagnosis of dementia, FPOP.
• Wilson & Danby (2016). Containment and its role in maintaining the self in dementia, FPOP.
• Wilson (2017). The art of ageing: working with older people who idealise self-reliance, British Psychoanalytic Society Newsletter.
• Wilson & Esposito (2018). Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy and Older People, FPOP.