Bernadette Owen - Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Hypnotherapist. BACP Accredited
0116 2716377 / 07712 816317
With 10 years of experience in the counselling field, my area of expertise is in working with the trauma and associated impact of childhood sexual abuse. I work from a person centred perspective with male and female clients aged 16 and above, and my work is mainly client led. My focus is on developing and maintaining a therapeutic relationship within which clients are empowered to explore their issues, at their own pace, in a safe, non-judgemental and empathic environment.
In addition to counselling, I offer hypnotherapy for the alleviation of a range of issues, including irrational fears, mistaken beliefs and the impact of trauma. Hypnotherapy is also useful and can be applied to bring about relaxation during pregnancy.
As a practitioner in counselling and hypnotherapy, my aim is always to work in accordance with client needs, providing a flexible, professional and ethical service.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Person-Centred Psychotherapy Studies
- BA (Hons.) Comb. (Psychology/Sociology)
- Practitioner's Diploma in Hypnotherapy
- 10 years of experience as a counsellor working in the field of sexual abuse, firstly as a volunteer with I.S.A.S., before becoming a contracted employed counsellor with them, and recently as a counsellor with Nottinghamshire Rape Crisis Service (now Nottinghamshire Sexual Violence Support Service). I work with individual clients, both male and female, and have facilitated therapeutic groups for survivors and ran groups for supporters.
MNCS (Senior Accred), MNCP
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I offer hypnotherapy for management of anxiety and for relaxation during pregnancy.
Photos & videos
Initial 30 minute consultation - free of charge.
Thereafter £50 per hour.
I offer counselling in the South Leicestershire area, and also in the Student Therapy Centre at Loughborough University.
If you would like to contact me for an informal conversation about your requirements or any further information, please feel free to call on the mobile number provided or e-mail me via the link above.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Currently I have availability on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I generally work between the hours of 9.00 am and 7.00 pm within the Leicestershire area.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|