I am a Senior Clinical Supervisor in play and creative arts therapies, providing clinical supervision for trainee or qualified play and creative arts therapists since 2010. I work internationally, and have provided support for many supervises across the globe from Europe to Mediterranean countries and overseas.
After more than 20 years in practice, with almost 12 years as a clinical supervisor in play therapy, I’ve helped therapists and professionals that working with children through a vast range of situations and experiences.
I see the role of the supervisor is threefold: educative, supportive, and managerial. During my working career as a play therapist and supervisor, I have gained below experiences which I feel enhancing my work as a clinical supervisor.
- Lectured on play and creative arts therapy on both a national and international stage through Play Therapy UK(PTUK) and Play Therapy International (PTI), teaching play therapy in Dublin/ Ireland, Bristol/UK and France.
- Trained Post Graduate in Play Therapy student therapists at the Academy of Child Play and Psychotherapy (Canterbury Christ Church University).
- Worked with several London based specialist teams in local authorities, schools, social services and other organisations about the impact of domestic violence, alcoholism and drug abuse on children, setting up and managing several play therapy projects in the London boroughs of Camden, Islington, Hammersmith, Enfield, Hounslow, Hillingdon, Brent, Wandsworth etc)
- Supervised the setting up and management of international play therapy projects in university hospitals, education and social services departments of other countries such as Ireland, Denmark, Hong Kong, Turkey, Malta, Cyprus etc managed by other qualified therapists
- Worked as a Therapy Service Manager in a domestic abuse charity over seven years. I regularly communicate in an emotive atmosphere where parents are overwhelmed and stressed, dealing with disclosures. I supported team of 12 therapists, including paid and un-paid therapist in training/ placement.
I follow British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and Play Therapy United Kingdom (PTUK) code of ethics and I am registered with Public Standards Agency (PSA).
My speciality is mainly covering the area of child development, play therapy, understanding children's inner world, symbolic play, understanding children's non-verbal communication, storymaking/ storytelling, sandplay therapy, understanding the dynamics of power and control, dynamics of abuse and its impact on children and parental skills. Other areas of training/ consultancy cover parenting skills and strategies.
I see the emotional health and personal development of practitioners to be crucial to the work of counselling and therapy. Therefore, as a supervisor I aim to provide a safe and containing space to facilitate a creative and collaborative exploration of issues that arise during the therapist's clinical work. These may be matters of therapeutic technique, therapeutic relationships, difficult problems, ethical dilemmas, or issues that impact personally upon the therapist as a result of the therapeutic process.
If you’re looking for a passionate clinical supervisor for your child-centred practice and to share your journey I’d love to hear from you.