Seven steps to a different you
Summer is a great time to work on self-improvement. Our lifestyles change focus and tend to be outdoor orientated - subject to the weather of course! Even our personal and work patterns change and we tend to be more positive. So why not use this fantastic season to move towards the person you want to be?
Here’s my suggested seven steps to get your goal.
- Be realistic. But not only that - take ‘bite-size’ steps. For example, instead of thinking that you are going to jog for an hour each day, start with 10 minutes and gradually build up. Avoid being fanatical - chill. Measure your achievements at the same time each week. This allows for successes and failures and evens them out.
- Write down your goal and put it somewhere you can see it each day. Maybe a ‘post-it’ note on your desk top.
- Two steps forward, one back. Keep cool and focus on your way forward. Don’t "do" guilt - just accept that you slipped and get more determined.
- Tell someone. Get their support and encourage them to ask you now and again to find out you how you are getting on.
- Be positive. We all slip up, but unfortunately most of us tend to focus on failure and become down-hearted. But this time you will get there, as you are setting do-able goals over a longer period of time.
- Just do it. Many people wait until they feel motivated, but they could be waiting a long time. The brain doesn’t like too much change and so will procrastinate. If you are planning to do more exercise, get out and walk. The gym can come later.
- Group work may help. Learning from others can be inspiring and help you avoid the traps that changing your life can entail. Plus you will have their encouragement to help.
Remember - positive thinking has power. If you really want to do it, you will. Summer’s here and life can feel more rosy. Now is the best time to really believe in yourself and not get dragged down by negativity.
Find a counsellor or psychotherapist dealing with low self-confidence
All therapists are verified professionals.