How counselling can help with Anxiety
Anxiety is an issue that has become more prominent and more common in the past few decades. The pressures of life: increasing rent prices and other basic expenses that keep climbing, increasing demands at work and the stress it brings without the benefits of an increase in salary and all that this entails for daily life and surviving in a world that demands more and more of us. Let's not forget social media and the increasing need to get that extra like, to get our posts shared or retweeted. The constant pressure to do rather than just be.
These are just a few examples of what might bring anxiety.
So how can counselling help work through anxiety if it comes from such a variety of sources and if it is as individual for each person as each source mentioned?
There are a few things that you can work on in therapy:
- Understanding the source of the anxiety symptoms, going to the root of the problem and figuring out why and how it is affecting you.
- Anxiety might lead you to develop thoughts and feelings that might not be realistic or truthful. Together with your counsellor, in the safety of the therapeutic relationship, you can both challenge these thoughts and feelings and learn to develop more accurate and truthful ways of seeing the situations that have caused your anxiety.
- It is important that you recognise, with the help of your counsellor, that you have all the tools and skills you need to work through anxiety and not let it get overwhelming or stop you from living the life you want - you have the strength and the resources to work through anxiety and what it stops you from doing in life.
- Therapy is a place where you can learn - or re-learn - how to regulate your own emotions, as well as how to recognise when you might need to seek help, talk to someone or take yourself away for a time of meditation and regrouping.
- Trust in the process of therapy and in your inner strengths and resources. You can work through anxiety and have the life you want!
Find a counsellor or psychotherapist dealing with anxiety
All therapists are verified professionals.