Working with trauma – a person-centred approach
The aim of this event
This event aims to give participants an understanding of trauma from a person-centred perspective. Drawing on Rogers’ theory of personality development to understand the impact of trauma and the role of the therapeutic relationship in supporting recovery and growth following adversity.
This training will support participants to:
- understand what we mean by psychological trauma
- consider post-traumatic response in the context of Rogers’ theory of personality development
- identify common ground across theoretical understandings of trauma, recovery, and growth
- reflect on the place of technique, strategies, and interventions in trauma therapy
- consider clinical challenges inherent in working with complex trauma
- understand the mechanisms by which person-centred therapy can facilitate psychological well-being
Susan Dobson is a Person-Centred therapist with experience of working in a variety of settings including the voluntary sector, private practice, and EAP service providers, with a particular interest and specialism in working with trauma. She currently works as a counsellor with Clydesdale Counselling and Human Development Project and operates her private practice from her home office.
Susan is an experienced trainer and facilitator, she is the Senior Learning and Development Officer for Glasgow’s Public Protection Unit and is a regular contributor to the Post-Qualifying Award for Independent Domestic Abuse Advisors. Susan is also a Registered Social Worker with over 20 years' experience of working with children and vulnerable families. She is currently undertaking an MA in Trauma Studies at Nottingham University.
More information at https://trauma-15-nov-19.eventbrite.co.uk
About Audrey Smith
Greenwood Events aims to offer affordable workshops to counsellors interested in CPD, anyone interested in self- development or considering a career in counselling. It also aims to offer opportunities to stimulate networking and knowledge sharing among counsellors in Scotland. Visit www.greenwoodevents.co.uk for more information.