Working with groups
Have you wondered about setting up a group and want to have the skills to plan and facilitate it effectively? Or perhaps you’re already running a group and want to increase your capacity to understand and manage group dynamics? This one day experiential workshop will give you a chance to explore some key areas, from a practical perspective, aimed at helping you plan and run groups effectively. The workshop is suitable for practitioners with no previous experience in group work or those with some experience who wish to further develop their skills and who may be involved with a variety of groups including therapeutic groups/support groups/psycho-education groups/personal development groups. The workshop is primarily aimed at counsellors but is suitable for those from a range of backgrounds including psychologists, psychotherapists, and psychological wellbeing practitioners.
The workshop will cover the following:
- Why work in groups? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using group work?
- Increase your understanding of what happens in groups – extend your awareness of group dynamics, including unconscious processes in groups.
- Develop your understanding and skills in how to facilitate groups effectively, particularly in relation to group interaction and have an opportunity to try this out in practice.
- Anti-discriminatory practice in group work – promote equality and inclusion in groups.
- Dealing with difficulties in groups.
The workshop facilitator is Sheila King who has over 20 years experience as a mental health practitioner, group facilitator, lecturer and trainer in London, Bristol and Manchester. She taught on counselling and psychotherapy programmes at the University of Salford and worked as an NHS mental health counsellor.
Sheila has facilitated groups of different types in educational, health, and social services settings and currently delivers training to a range of health and social care organisations.
About Jenny Edwards
This event is hosted by Counselling Northwest - a not for profit organisation run by counsellors for counsellors and mental health professionals in the North West. Workshop booking forms can be found on our website - www.counselling-northwest.org.uk