Working with diverse sexualities
Who is the course for?
For counsellors and similar professionals who’d like to refresh and broaden their
knowledge about people who identify as LGBTQ+ sexual minority (GSM) clients.
Aims of course
We live in a society which is much more accepting of diverse sexualities, and there are
legal protections in place to protect people regardless of their sexuality, yet LGBTQ+
people are more likely to self-harm, attempt suicide or suffer mental health issues. This course will refresh your knowledge and help you think about working affirmatively with gender and sexual minority (GSM) clients.
- Labels, language and identity.
- Minority stress, prejudices, micro-aggressions and privilege–our counter-transferences.
- A historical context of sexuality in society.
- Coming out and identity development.
- Working affirmatively with the LGB community.
CPD: six hours
Specialising in LGBTQ and relationship therapy, Alex has an MA in Relationship Therapy and is MBACP (Accred). Alex is a Clinical Associate of, Pink Therapy and a member of Gendered Intelligence’s directory of therapists. He presents and trains on LGBTQ issues in counselling as well as teaching counselling for Relate.