- Counselling Directory - Find a Counsellor Near You>
- Working with chronic illness and cancer in therapy
Working with chronic illness and cancer in therapy
This workshop is for all therapists, counsellors, and health care practitioners, not just those who want to specialise in chronic illness or cancer.
Cancer and chronic illness affect our mental health. Supporting people with life-changing and life-shortening illnesses is rarely part of a general counselling, therapy, health care training curriculum. Yet such illnesses are on the increase – rapidly.
What does that mean for us practitioners?
- The likelihood of any of us developing a chronic illness has increased and the likelihood of meeting a client or patient who is affected by a chronic illness is also high.
- The emotional impact of such an illness on people affected by it (including relatives and friends) is wide-ranging, specific, and complex.
- Offering meaningful support requires awareness of the practical and emotional needs which come with life-changing illnesses.
- As the diagnosis, treatment, and life with chronic illnesses can be traumatic, so can be working with this client group. Practitioner self-care is particularly important.
What will you learn from this workshop?
This workshop is designed to provide you with information and a safe space to explore working with clients affected by such illnesses.
We will look specifically at;
- the emotional impact of chronic illnesses and cancer through different phases (diagnosis, treatment, remission, return, advanced, terminal)
- the emotional impact on those close to people diagnosed with chronic illness (family, friends)
- important insensitive vocabulary
- appropriate therapeutic/counselling support (what to expect, the suitability of interventions, practical considerations)
- self-care for practitioners
- the implication of working with this client group if you are also affected by a life-changing illness
You are also welcome to email me, in confidence, specific questions you would like me to cover.
Fee - £70 (early bird £55 before 1st December 2019). Payable via PayPal via my website here - https://karinsieger.com/cancer-counselling-workshop-karin-sieger/
Refund policy - cancellations received by 04/01/2020 will receive a full refund. Summary handouts will be provided.
The workshop format will allow for Q&A time.
Location: Online via Zoom. Once payment has been received I will email you a secure link. Therefore, please enter a full and correct email address with your PayPal payment. I will provide you with a secure link. It is simple and requires you to download the app. You need to have a webcam or built-in camera on your device.
You can make your booking via my website. The PayPal link is at the bottom of this page - https://karinsieger.com/cancer-counselling-workshop-karin-sieger/
About Karin Sieger
Karin Sieger is a psychotherapist and writer with a private practice in Richmond. She specialises in supporting people with life changing and life shortening illnesses like cancer, and has been diagnosed with breast cancer twice. She is the cancer counsellor for the cancer community of LiveBetterWith.com and hosts the podcast “Cancer and You”.