Working with and supporting autistic and neurodiverse clients
This event represents a unique opportunity to learn about working with autistic and neurodiverse clients. In this joint training event, Orly, a counsellor and trainer and Chris, a speaker on autism who is autistic himself, are aiming to achieve the following:
- To explain what neurodiversity means
- To increase awareness of the sorts of difficulties experienced by this
- client group and their families that might bring them to counselling.
- To share Orly's wide-ranging experience of neurodiverse clients
- To discuss how therapy can help
- To discuss how counselling this group of clients might be different (or not) for the therapist
- To hear from Chris about the lived experience of an autistic person and his experiences of being a client
- To hear what we can do to help and support the neurodiverse community
There will be at least an hour for “supervision” so that participants can bring client work and questions which will be answered by Orly and Chris.
About the Trainers
Orly Koppel is a BACP Snr Accredited Counsellor with a special interest in autism and neurodiversity. She has a wide range of experience with this client group and is on the National Autistic Society’s List of Counsellors. She will present her workshop during the first half of the day.
Chris Bonnello is a former primary school teacher diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. He is now an award-winning writer and international speaker on autism issues and the author of autisticnotweird.com. Having worked in primary as well as special education (in addition to his personal experiences of being an autistic client), he is well placed to share his insights from both a personal and professional perspective. To date, autisticnotweird has had over 2.3 million page hits, and at present has 117,000 Facebook followers. He will present after lunch and will offer ample time for Q&A at the end of the day.
Who is it for?
Counsellors, trainee counsellors, psychologists and other mental health workers.
More information at https://autism-neurodiversity-aug-20.eventbrite.co.uk
Hosted by Audrey Smith
Greenwood Events aims to offer affordable workshops to counsellors interested in CPD, anyone interested in self- development or considering a career in counselling. It also aims to offer opportunities to stimulate networking and knowledge sharing among counsellors in Scotland. Visit www.greenwoodevents.co.uk for more information.