Working therapeutically with clients with high functioning autism
For full details and to book, please see our website -https://www.bramhamtherapy.co.uk/event/working-therapeutically-with-clients-with-high-functioning-autism-with-helen-franklin/
In the UK, one percent of people are diagnosed with an autism spectrum condition. Counsellors and psychotherapists are increasingly finding that people with an autism diagnosis (or those they might suspect have autism) are reaching out for therapeutic support. And yet, on most diploma, degree or even masters training programmes, working with the autistic process is never mentioned. This leaves many clinicians feeling de-skilled and confused when encountering autism in the consulting room, and means that autistic adults, who desperately need our help, are often left adrift.
This workshop will be a mixture of teaching and experiential learning, and aims to give practitioners a grounding in working with adults with high functioning autism. The characteristics, challenges, and potential strengths of an autism spectrum condition will be explored, and delegates will develop an understanding of how they can adapt and enrich their practice to work with this fascinating client group.
We will cover;
- what is the autism spectrum?
- separating the myths from the facts
- issues around diagnosis with special reference to autism in girls
- what kind of therapeutic approaches work best and which are contra-indicated?
- understanding the overlap between trauma practice and autism - how understanding the window of tolerance and polyvagal theory can empower us in our work with people on the spectrum
- understanding sensory integration
- useful skills and techniques for working with clients on the spectrum
- how might I structure an assessment with someone on the spectrum?
- building self-esteem, self-compassion and the ability to be in a relationship
About Bramham Therapy
Bramham Therapy - To read more about all our events and to book: https://www.bramhamtherapy.co.uk/events/
We provide cutting-edge continuing professional development (CPD) seminars for counsellors and psychotherapists from all modalities (including those in training). We bring leading trainers to deliver workshops in Newbury and Marlborough.