Empowering women - Life after abuse
This is an eight-week programme, two hours a week for women who have been subjected to domestic abuse but are no longer in the relationship.
What is the aim of the group?
The aim of the group is to aid healing and take back control by rebuilding trust in ourselves and our abilities, recognising our strengths and understanding how trauma impacts us.
How does it work?
We will do this together by creating a space where we can speak openly, build connections, end shame by naming it and build on our understanding of domestic abuse.
What type of group is it?
It is a mixture of psychoeducation and sharing of our experiences and feelings in order to dispel the myths around domestic abuse, shed the shame we have internalised and normalise our responses. We will share what has helped us so far with each other and build on this to help us feel more in control of our own feelings and reactions.
What will we cover?
The sessions will broadly cover
- Definitions of abuse.
- Myths around abuse - dispelling the myths and challenging self-blame.
- What is trauma and understanding common trauma reactions.
- Normalising our reactions and celebrating our strength.
- Identifying and naming feelings created as a result of abuse and exploring the impact of these feelings.
- Looking at how abuse narrows our window of tolerance.
- Identify what we already do to widen this and build on it.
- Identifying our triggers and building on what helps manage these.
- Assertive communication.
- Boundaries - how to maintain these even when pushed.
- Changing the tune - the impact of abuse on our self-esteem and beliefs about ourselves.
- Rewriting our story - what are our new rules going forward.
- Keep moving forward - how we maintain this.
The next group to start either on 1st or 8th June is to be confirmed, groups are run through the day 11 am-1 pm or on an evening 7 pm-9 pm and are held online via Zoom.
Please contact me for an informal chat on 07958739937
Hosted by Leanne Clegg
Qualified and experienced therapeutic counsellor with a real understanding into the impact of domestic abuse on all aspects of life including our wellbeing, emotionally, physically and mentally. Passionate about being alongside other women and creating a space to empower each other to heal, regain control and find and embrace joy again.