- Counselling Directory - Find a Counsellor Near You>
- Scottish Mental Health First Aid (young people)
Scottish Mental Health First Aid (young people)
Mental Health First Aid is an initial response to distress, and all participants on the course understand that this help is to support young people in crisis, and, when appropriate, signpost them on to other suitable professional help.
The course does not train people to be mental health workers. It offers basic general information about mental health problems. The knowledge presented and understanding developed in the course helps to remove stigma and fear and to give confidence in approaching a young person in distress.
The course is presented by a qualified SMHFA-YP instructor and quality is continuously monitored by NHS Health Scotland.
The course aims to equip individuals to:
- show how Mental Health First Aid can be applied in a crisis situation with young people
- reduce stigma around mental health issues for young people
- enable participants to provide initial support to young people in crisis
- recognise and promote understanding of common mental health problems, including depression and anxiety, eating disorders, self-harm, suicide and substance misuse
For more information and to book, visit our website: https://www.thespark.org.uk/professionals/smhfa-yp/
About The Spark Counselling
The Spark Counselling is a leading provider of couples counselling, marriage counselling, individual counselling and school-based counselling in Scotland.
This is complemented by an extensive range of professional training and education programmes provided by The Spark.
Courses range from introductory programmes to masters qualifications.