Preparing for parenthood: a couple's course
For some months now you've been getting ready, because life is about to change or has recently changed! Planning ahead can help you manage these changes more smoothly. The forthcoming workshop provides some tips for coping with stressful life and couple changes, helping expectant parents approach their new role with mixed feelings. Every individual anticipates a unique combination of rewards and difficulties in their role as parent, some expectations about parenthood will be realistic, whereas others may not.
The workshop is aimed at helping both mothers and fathers and partners move towards motherhood, fatherhood, parenthood. We will focus on the following areas:
1. Towards Motherhood
- Getting to know... yourself and baby
- Preparing for baby in your mind and life
- Reflecting on mixed, conflicting, difficult feelings about pregnancy, baby and adaption.
2. Towards Fatherhood
- We address the expectation, realistic, challenges of becoming a father/parent (including same sex couples)
- The course aims to help you make space for the baby in your mind and life
- You will be prompt to consider potential challenges in becoming parents
- We examine how your experience of being parented will influence your parenting
- We look to raise awareness of mental health issues that may present with having a baby.
3. Changing body, changing life
- Preparing for parenthood, looking at change across of areas of the relationship and functioning for individual and couple
- Preparing, planning and problem solving.
4. Caring for yourself is caring for your baby
- Establishing self-care, couple care and support
- Stress reduction and management
- Identifying internal and external stressors.
5. From lovers to parents – managing relationship changes
- Closer look at the relationship
- Individual and couples values
- What partnership do you want to create?
- Roles and responsibilities defined
- Ideas regarding a ‘good enough parent’
You will receive your own workbook, light refreshments and the opportunity to meet and learn with others. Babies are welcome. Early Bird fee of £100 per couple.
About the host
We wish to provide a service to mothers, fathers, and family members alike, of anyone experiencing emotional or psychological difficulties during pregnancy or after birth (the perinatal phase).