Nourish: Working therapeutically with eating and weight
Six days, all 9.30am – 4.30pm:
- Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th January
- Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st February
- Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th April
This exciting six-day certificate course was developed by Mandy Atkinson, a highly respected psychotherapist, educator, and supervisor with over a decade of specialist experience in working with eating and weight (E&W) issues in clinic and private practice settings.
This course offers you an excellent opportunity to develop your knowledge, understanding and confidence to work practically with a range of different E&W issues in a clinical practice. This is a fast-growing area of therapy and much in demand.
Examples of course content:
- An introduction and context to working with E&W issues such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, obesity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, female athlete triad syndrome, emetophobia (vomit related phobia), pica (compulsive appetite for non-nutritive/non-food items) and orthorexia (unhealthy obsession with ‘healthy’ eating).
- Working with and through the shame around eating and weight.
- Stigma, alienation, marginalisation and identity issues around weight, body shape and size.
- The origins of E&W problems: script, social, gender and cultural considerations.
- Safety and ethical considerations around risk, and consideration of the complexity behind E&W issues/disorders, e.g. trauma.
- A structural and relational approach to working with E&W issues.
This innovative and stimulating course will equip you with the knowledge you need to approach working with E&W issues in both primary and secondary presenting issues. You will gain insight through extensive case studies and clinical experience and be given the opportunity for ‘live’ supervision of your own client work. You will also undertake a small, assessed research project on an aspect of eating and weight that is of special interest to you.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a Connexus Institute ‘Certificate in Working Therapeutically with Eating and Weight’. This Ongoing Professional Development course can be counted as 36 hours of CPD.
To book a place on this course, please visit Eventbrite.
Hosted by Mandy Atkinson
Mandy Atkinson, PTSTA (P),CTA (P),UKCP (accred.),MA, Dip Sup.,Cert. Ed. is a Transactional Analyst psychotherapist, supervisor and trainer. She teaches & examines counselling & psychotherapy at several colleges. She provides relational supervision in Hadlow, near Tonbridge, Kent. She specialises in trauma, depression, anxiety and eating disorders.