Mental health first aid training - Bridgwater
Our adult MHFA two day course qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
Mental health first aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect well-being
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
- What to expect.
We limit numbers to a minimum of eight people and a maximum of 16 people per course so that you can feel safe and supported while you learn.
You will get an MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it. When you complete the two days you'll get a certificate to say you are a Mental Health First Aider. This can take up to two weeks to arrive.
Learning takes place across four manageable sessions. Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace.
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA.
Your fee includes the accreditation with Mental Health First Aid England and all your course materials and two days of all refreshments including lunch
About Becky Wright
Becky Wright is a Mental Health First Aid instructor, she delivers this Adult MHFA courses in the Somerset area. She believes there should be parity of esteem between physical and mental health. She is a Mental Health First Aid Instructor with Mental Health First Aid England.