Introduction to working with people with eating disorders
EDS (Eating Disorder Specialists) is offering the following two day training for trainee and qualified practitioners from the fields of counselling, psychotherapy, mentoring, education, support work, nursing and other therapeutic fields.
This workshop will explore:
- Eating disorder classifications.
- How to recognise somebody suffering.
- The process of recovery and treatment options.
- The effects of eating disorders on the whole person.
- The eating disorder as experienced in a family setting.
- The role of the practitioner in supporting recovery.
- Our own relationship with food, eating and body.
- The social context of eating disorders.
- Support tools.
- Boundaries and responsibilities.
- Care of the practitioner.
Aims of the workshop
- This workshop is an invitation both to begin to explore the world of people with eating disorders and to consider our own relationship with food, body and eating as a practitioner in a supportive role.
- The space offered will be supportive and informative. You will be guided to engage in your own personal journey, in a contained and gentle way.
- This workshop aims to develop the confidence of the practitioner in recognising the needs of and working with people with eating disorders.
Kym Netherton is a qualified Psychotherapeutic Counsellor and holds a Masters Degree in Working with People with Eating Disorders and Body Image Disturbance from the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust. She is an Associate Member of the Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists and a registered member of the BACP.
Kym has specialised in working with people with Eating Disorders since 2005. She has extensive experience of working in and with the NHS and was previously the Clinical Lead of SWEDA - Somerset and Wessex Eating Disorders Association.
Having successfully recovered from an eating disorder herself, Kym offers unique insights from both sides of the therapy room. Kym focusses on clients holistically, and seeks to include the experience of body, mind and soul in to the therapeutic work that she does.
‘Training with Kym is a nurturing and revealing experience. I was able to reflect on my relationship with food and my body in a safe place that encouraged personal and professional development. Expansion and progress are natural byproducts of training with Kym. The depth of her insight, paired with her natural skill as a teacher, makes any training with Kym a fruitful investment.’ ~ SM
Please see website: www.eatingdisorderspecialists.co.uk
About Kym Netherton
Kym Netherton is a qualified Psychotherapeutic Counsellor and holds a Masters Degree in Working with People with Eating Disorders and Body Image Disturbance from the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust.
Founder of EDS, Kym has specialised in working with people with Eating Disorders since 2005.