Introduction to working with couples
Dates: Four day course - Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th June, Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th June.
Who is this course for?
This course will suit anyone who already has a basic understanding and experience of the counselling process and is looking to extend their knowledge and experience of working in the interesting, demanding and fascinating world of couple counselling. It will build not only on your counselling knowledge in general but also on the practical and theoretical aspects of working with the couple dynamic. There are three additional workshops which will compliment this four day course.
This is a non-accredited programme that will deepen the understanding of working therapeutically with couples.
Aims of the course:
- To understand systemic and psychodynamic theory with regard to couple
- To be aware and work with the practical differences between working with
couples and individuals.
- To build therapeutic bonds in a couple dynamic whilst holding the balance
in the room.
- To understand life stages and loss and how that impacts on the couple
- To understand and work with different relationship styles.
- To learn how to use immediacy effectively to work with the couple fit,
conflict and conflict resolution in the room.
- To understand diversity and how it specifically impacts on a couple
- To be aware of domestic violence and abuse and its impact on
the couple relationship.
- To be able to build positive communication between couples.
CPD: 28 hours
An experienced counsellor and trainer who specialises in relationship and LGBTQ therapy,
Alex has an MA in relationship therapy and is an accredited member of BACP. Alex teaches for Relate as well as presents seminars and training on LGBTQ issues in counselling.