Introduction to Couples Counselling - Liverpool -four day course over two weekends
Cost: £450 for the four day course. Liverpool dates are May 12th/13th and also June 9th/10th 2018.
Course also runs in London.
Early bird price before March 1st 2018 is £430. A CPD certificate will be supplied on completion of course. To book a place, there is a non-refundable deposit of £100 payable now at www.couplescounsellingtraining.com. The balance is payable one month before the course start date.
- Differences between individual and couples counselling
- The role of the therapist in couples counselling; content versus process
- Different models of couples counselling
- Essential communication skills to teach your couples
- The basics of non-confrontational communication; therapist as ‘translator’
- Couples dialogue; facilitating your couples expressing difference and frustration.
- Ethical dilemmas in couples counselling (seeing individuals separately concurrently with couple counselling; screening for domestic violence; addictions; confidentiality and keeping secrets; contact outside sessions)
- Transference in the couple relationship; mechanisms of attraction and partner selection; uncovering your unconscious relationship attraction pattern
- Attachment vs. differentiation; working with conflict & emotions
- Attachment patterns & mechanisms of disconnection
- Working with the couple’s defeating pattern or dance of disconnection.
- Ethical dilemmas in couples counselling
- Stages of relationship from romance to power struggle to co-creation
- Working with the stages and developmental tasks
- Working with hostile couples; understanding and de-escalating conflict; bonding exercises
- Working with avoidant couples; facing the elephant in the room.
- Ethical dilemmas in couples counselling
- Homework and exercises for couples clients
- How to conduct your first couples session; theory and format; determining client intentions, motivation and how to proceed
- How to conduct your first couples session; role plays
- Making a treatment plan for the journey ahead
- Questions; summary and end.
- “Exceeded expectations manyfold. Thoughtful, informed, up-to-date content from classic and relevant models, with the opportunity to practise techniques. Delivered in a great way. The opportunity to practise the techniques made the learning real. Very impressed.” Dean, Robin Corner Counselling
- “Absolutely fantastic course, jam-packed with information and resources. Will definitely be recommending to fellow counsellors.” Katie, Private Practitioner
- “An excellent overview to couples counselling offering you a strong base to start practising with growing confidence” Isabel, Letchworth Centre
- "I found the course very enlightening and full of information. Highly recommended course. You will get all the information you need to move forward in couples counselling. Debbie is an inspirational teacher and I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to work with couples." Counsellor attending London course
- "I would certainly recommend this course to anyone who is thinking of starting out on couples counselling. Be ready to discover how much there is to take on board. Debbie is a fantastic tutor." Counsellor attending London course.
- "Fabulously informative workshop on the how to and why of setting up as a couples counsellor. I recommend it highly. Excellent, with brilliant handouts" Tara, therapist, London
- "Excellent attention to detail. The course draws attention to the most important considerations and provides a comprehensive toolkit for anyone starting out as a couples counsellor" Phil Martin, therapist, Bournemouth
- "An extremely clear and informative course. Very well organised. Delivered with clarity and warmth. Very useful." Kate Renner, Letchworth Centre for Healthy Living, Herts
- "Debbie and Simon are great trainers. the four dates were informative, insightful and fun? I loved the range of teaching methods and have already recommended the course to two colleagues. Fantastic handouts also. Lovely and safe group." Phil Puttock, counsellor, Brighton
- "I found most helpful the depth of experience of both leaders....the supervision of role-plays was done well and helpfully. Everyone was given permission to join in or sit it out or passively participate. I found that sensitive" B, therapist
- "Outstanding. Debbie provided an exciting, stimulating well researched and excellently resourced session in an enjoyable accessible manner. The experiential exercise was thoughtfully guided and I left wanting more thinking this is one of the best courses I have attended." Sherry, London
About the host
Debbie Winterbourne regularly runs trainings for therapist/counsellors wanting to focus on couples counselling.
She holds five degrees including a Masters in Gestalt Psychotherapy and a first class degree in psychology. She is trained and/or qualified in Imago Therapy, Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy and a graduate of The Couples Institute.