Introduction to counselling children and young people
Unit one (two days): Monday 2nd September and Tuesday 3rd September
- Child and adolescent development and transitions
- Communication with young people
- Mental health and young people
- Risk assessments.
Unit two (two days): Monday 30th September and Tuesday 1st October
- Working within the context of the counselling setting
- Beginnings and endings with young people
- Child protection and safeguarding
- Ethical and professional practice.
The first stage of the BACP’s training curriculum gives counsellors the basic skills and competences to begin working with young people. This introductory course is for post-qualified counsellors who wish to begin practising with young people and work towards a qualification in counselling young people. It is also for current counselling students on adult-focused counselling/psychotherapy training courses who wish to undertake some of their placement hours with young people.
About John Bradley
John is a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist (Children and Young People), Supervisor and Trainer. He currently offers counselling, supervision and training using the person centred approach in private practice at the Ellesmere Centre in Hull. He also offers counselling in 2 Hull secondary schools.