Identifying early signs of eating disorders in young people
Content of the day and learning outcomes:
- what are eating disorders - some definitions
- possible risk factors and triggers
- myths and truths
- some important statistics
- identifying a young person at risk of becoming eating disordered/the signs
- how to effectively address concerns in the therapeutic/professional environment
- what to say and what not to say to a young person of concern
- the tricky stuff - parental/medical involvement and considering whether inaction could be construed as negligence
- supporting the young person/carers to get an initial and urgent GP appointment
- eliciting the right support in navigating this rather precarious and increasingly common path.
Why should delegates attend/what they can expoect to learn from it:
- To gain an awareness of eating disordered behaviors and knowing how to manage concerns for the young person (they can become safeguarding issues).
- Getting "the right people" involved in order access prompt medical help whilst keeping the young person on board in the therapeutic relationship.
- Accessing the appropriate clinical and personal support.
About the trainer - Jennifer Pitt
Jennifer has worked as a counsellor/psychotherapist in high school settings and managing a team of school counsellors for nearly two decades. These days, in addition to writing articles, and delivering training workshops and webinars, she runs a private practice. Much of her work is with young people suffering with disordered eating.
Since 2015, Jennifer has held Eating Disorder Practitioner status. Her decision to undertake a formal training in this area, came the day after an excruciating counselling session with a student who was exhibiting all the early signs of anorexia, and who ran out of her session following a clumsy intervention by her counsellor!
Who is this aimed at?
Any counsellors/psychotherapists working with young people. Also suitable for other professionals working with young people in a pastoral context.
Find more information and book your place via Eventbrite.
For upcoming events in 2022, visit greenwoodevents.co.uk.
Hosted by Audrey Smith
Greenwood Events runs affordable CPD training and aspires to facilitate a vibrant and lively network of like-minded people working in the helping profession who meet up to learn, network and share expertise and knowledge. Join the Greenwood Events mailing list here - http://eepurl.com/dLYUu2 or by emailing email@example.com