Empathy for self and others - a mindfulness and focusing - oriented approach
Course contents and overview:
Empathy – definitions and the importance of empathy when relating to self and others.
Exploring how empathy is nurtured or blocked.
Practical and experiential ways of becoming more empathic:
- Mindful awareness and acceptance of our bodily sensations
- Mindful and empathic response to aspects of self
- Using art work and other creative ways to enhance empathy
- Listening to others and resonating with them on a deeper level
- Enhancing empathic responses through offering deepening propositions and deepening conversations.
- Discussions, question and answer sessions.
- Mindfulness and focusing exercises.
- Experiential paired/triad work.
Russell Kendall MBACP (Accred.) is an experienced therapist and mindfulness teacher with 20 years’ experience of mindfulness practice. He integrates mindfulness into his therapeutic practice and runs mindfulness groups. He is also a psychology lecturer and holds an MSc in organisational psychology.
John Threadgold MBACP (Accred.) is an experienced focusing-oriented therapist and supervisor. He holds an MA in focusing and experiential psychotherapy and is recognised as a focusing teacher by the Focusing Institute and the British Focusing Association.
Feedback from our course
‘An excellent weekend with two highly-skilled trainers leading the group through mindfulness and focusing techniques to a greater understanding of empathy with authentic regard for each individual’s emotional safety. I feel I have grown personally from the thoughtfully delivered experiential exercises and will be taking this new knowledge into my professional role too. It was a privilege to be part of the experience’.
To book please contact:
John Threadgold 0208 330 7341
01243 267708/07794 713573
About John Threadgold
BFA Skills Certificate and additional training available. This is the first of five training courses, 60 Hours of training, completion of which leads to a BFA Focusing Skills Certificate which recognises your training in Focusing partnership skills for a peer partnership. This course is a stand alone course.