Disclosure, safeguarding and the criminal justice process: your obligations to survivors of abuse
The course covers:
- How to handle disclosures of abuse both recent and non-recent.
Using a mixture of case studies and discussion, we will explore:
- The potential conflicts between confidentiality and safeguarding.
- What action you should take.
- Understanding the importance of the context within which you work.
- Understanding your obligations.
- Pre-trial therapy protocol.
- Why is a protocol necessary?
- How might therapy impact on a criminal trial?
- Understanding the need for new contracting.
- How does this impact on note taking?
- How long should notes be retained?
- What should I do if I get a request to disclose my notes?
- How can I best support my client through the criminal justice process?
About Lynsey Lowe
Lynsey Lowe is a BACP accredited therapist with extensive experience of working with survivors of childhood abuse.
Sally French was a sexual offences specialist lawyer who worked for the CPS for 25 years. She is now a UKCP accredited therapist.
Lynsey and Sally both enjoy training and working together to aid survivors and therapists.