Developing private therapy practice
This five-hour workshop will help you grow or start your own private therapy practice, facilitated by two established private practitioners.
About this event
Working privately as a therapist can have a lot of benefits; flexible hours, great job satisfaction, and so much more. However, when it's not done properly, private practice can end up feeling like an expensive hobby. This workshop can help to change that.
This workshop will be facilitated by Tom, the founder and managing director of New Horizon Counselling Ltd. Tom works with adults and young people and also specialises in working with the LGBTQ+ community. In this workshop, you will learn about how to start your private therapy practice from a counsellor who went from zero to 20 ongoing clients within a year and whose business was a commended finalist at the Croydon Business Excellence Awards 2019.
With qualifications in counselling, psychology, media, and business administration, Tom has combined his knowledge to provide trainee and qualified counsellors, therapists and psychotherapists with a workshop that will support you in starting or developing your own private practice.
With guest speaker Danielle Bottone from JourneyOn. Danielle is experienced in trauma-informed therapy with adults and young people, with a particular interest in intercultural practice. She has established a private therapy practice also within a year on a part-time basis, navigating private therapy practice, part-time work for the local authority and motherhood.
Together, Tom and Danielle will guide you through the range of topics outlined below to help you set up or develop your part-time or full-time private practice.
Topics that will be covered
- starting private practice
- advantages and disadvantages
- self-care as a private practitioner
- protecting your clients
- insurance, supervision, and ethics
- directories and advertisements
- business banking
- the admin
- counselling agreements
- risk assessment and referrals
Part three - Danielle
- Danielle's journey to becoming a therapist
- working with a diverse client base
- "what I wished I had known before starting private practice"
- juggling multiple roles and being a mother whilst setting up your private practice
- potential opportunities in private practice and networking
- future prospects
- analytics and record-keeping
- the costs of running a private practice
- incorporating your private practice into the community
- expanding your income avenues
- a short introduction to marketing and social media
This workshop will be facilitated in the heart of Croydon on Lansdowne Road, a short walk from both East and West Croydon Stations. The meeting room is a large professional space with fantastic views.
Date: 28th March
10.00am–3.00pm with a 30 minute break. Light refreshments will be provided.
About Thomas Smithson
The workshops we provide are a collection of information we have learnt through research, education, clinical experience and through life experience. We have an easy-going approach to the workshops and although they are professional and informative we hope you will enjoy the relaxed learning experience.